This 4 ingredient potato soup is so fast an easy to make with the help of a pressure cooker. And all that with only 4 simple ingredients! You will love this simple soup that is perfect for a light meal or side dish.
What are the 4 ingredients in this potato soup?
First, a quick disclaimer. If you count it up, you will see that there are actually 6 ingredients listed for this recipe. I decided to opt for the rules used on shows like Chopped or Top Chef, and count olive oil, salt and pepper as “freebies” that do not count toward the ingredient total. If you remove those, you will see there are only 4 ingredients remaining. Here are the ingredients that you will need:
- Olive oil
- Onions- I used yellow onions for this soup for their lighter flavor as compared to white or purple onions
- Yellow potatoes-these potatoes are softer than russet potatoes and therefore cook more quickly, you cannot substitute russet potatoes in this dish without changing the cooking time
- Chicken broth- If you prefer you could substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth
- 1 wheel of laughing cow cheese, creamy garlic and herb flavor
- Salt and pepper to taste
How do I make 4 ingredient potato soup?
- Begin by preparing your ingredients. Peel and dice the onions. Peel and chop the potatoes into ½” cubes. Remove the wrappers from the laughing cow wedges, cut into small pieces and set aside.
- When the ingredients are ready set the Instant Pot to saute. Add the oil and allow to heat until it begins to shimmer. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally until they soften and become translucent. That should take 3 to 5 minutes. Turn off the saute feature.
- Add the potatoes and chicken broth the the bowl of the Instant Pot. Set the cooking time to manual high pressure for 10 minutes. When the cooking time is done, quick release the pressure.
- Add the laughing cow cubes and stir until melted.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup to smooth. If you do not have an immersion blender, you may transfer the soup to a food processor or blender to puree.
- Taste for salt and pepper and serve.
Topping ideas for 4 ingredient potato soup?
On its own, this can be a very light soup, it works great for when you don’t want a heavy meal or want to have your soup as a side dish. This potato soup is thinner than a lot of the “loaded” this or thats of recent years and more reminiscent of an older style potato soup. So, the choice of how to top the soup is really going to determine just how filling, or not, you find it. Here are some ideas:
- Cheddar or pepper jack shredded cheese
- Chives or scallions
- Crumbled bacon
- Serve it in a bread bowl
- Fresh tomato cubes
- Bite sized roasted vegetables
Can 4 ingredient potato soup be made in advance?
Absolutely. This soup keeps very well. Cool the soup and then transfer to airtight containers or jars. The soup will keep well for 3-5 days when stored in the refrigerator, simply microwave to preheat making this a perfect make ahead for work week lunches.
What to serve with 4 ingredient potato soup?
Bread–Bread is a classic pairing for soup. These recipes will go perfectly with the potato soup:
- Air Fryer Texas Toast fast and easy to make, this homemade version tastes so fresh you will never make the frozen kind again.
- This Spicy Cheese Bread with jalapenos and cheddar will add just the right amount of heat to the potato soup
- Air Fryer Breadsticks– these cheesy topped breadsticks are amazing on their own and even better with a delicious side of soup.
Sandwiches-soup and sandwich, what could make a better lunch or light dinner? Here are a few great ones to try with this soup:
- Pretzel Melts combine all the flavors of chicken cordon bleu with a fun pretzel twist the whole family will enjoy.
- Roasted Vegetable Flatbreads– light, crispy and bursting with flavors, this sandwich is the perfect pairing for this simple soup.
- Make a sub of these Cranberry Meatballs for a cool weather delite.
4 ingredient potato soup recipe
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 onions peeled and diced
- 2 pounds yellow potatoes peeled and chopped in ½” pieces
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 wheel of laughing cow creamy garlic and herb flavor cut in small pieces
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Set the instant pot to sauté. Add the olive oil and allow to heat through. When heated, add the onions and cook, stirring until softened, 3-5 minutes. Turn off the Instant Pot.
- Add the potatoes and chicken broth. Set the cook time to manual high pressure for 10 minutes. When the cooking time is done, quick release any remaining pressure.
- Add the laughing cow wedges and stir to melt.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup to the desired texture. Taste for salt and pepper and serve.