This post may contain affiliate links. To learn more read our disclosure page.
7 layer dip burritos
What is 7 layer dip?
Traditional 7 layer dip contains the following:
- Refried Beans
- Sour Cream
- Salsa or pico de gallo
- shredded cheese: cheddar or pepper jack or crumbled queso fresco
- black olives, sliced
- shredded lettuce
How 7 layer dip style burritos differ from 7 Layer Dip
First of all, for the 7 layer dip style burritos, we have eliminated the unnecessarily clunky dip. I mean, it sounds great in theory, but dipping through 7 layers can be a mess (not to mention the germ fest if this is being served at a party). So forget the plunging through ingredients and lets get on to the flavor profile.
Next, we had to change a few of the ingredients. It couldn’t all be “dip” ingredients or the burrito would feel “mushy”. So here are the changes we made.
- First, ditch the refried beans and substitute rinsed, drained pinto beans. If you would prefer you could easily substitute black, white, red or kidney beans.
- The guacamole is going to be swapped for diced avocado
- We add some diced tomatoes instead of just sauce
- All of these contribute to giving some texture to the burritos instead of just the mush that the dip alone in a burrito could be.
How to make 7 layer dip style burritos
This is a really easy dish that works great for meal prep, make ahead or an easy dinner. It comes together very easily and is a great, family-friendly dish.
To make the burritos, begin by choosing your tortilla. My personal favorite is these [high fiber low calorie wraps|https://amzn.to/3aycTMf] If you aren’t as concerned about the fiber and calorie profile any tortilla of your choosing would work just fine, flour, flavored, etc.
Add a strip of the sour cream down the middle of each tortilla. Sprinkle with the shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, black olives, diced avocado, shredded cheese and beans. Top with your favorite picante sauce or salsa. [I prefer|https://amzn.to/3cpTgs1]
After adding all the ingredients, fold in the sides and roll up the burrito. Serve immediately with salsa or [chipotle sauce|https://amzn.to/3pDq6JY]. Otherwise, these can be refrigerated for meal prep or make ahead dishes.
How to customize 7 Layer Dip Style Burritos
This is one of those dishes where there are a ton of ways to make it your own. Here I will detail various options for customizing your 7 layer dip style burritos.
- Change the tortilla. Flour, Spinach, Flax, Corn, literally any tortilla or wrap that is your favorite would be an excellent choice for this dish.
- Change the beans: I used pinto beans. You could use black beans, red beans, kidney beans, white beans, or even go back to the traditional refried beans.
- Change the avocado: Make it sliced rather than diced, use guacamole instead of plain avocado.
- Change the sour cream: Switch with plain Greek yogurt to lighten things up a bit.
- Change the cheese: I used shredded cheddar. Shredded pepper jack or crumbled queso fresco would work equally well.
- Other options: don’t want the olives, they can be removed. The salsa can easily be substituted for picante sauce, [tomatillo sauce|https://amzn.to/3j4aRHp] or [chipotle sauce|https://amzn.to/3pDq6JY].