Air Fried Onions are a quick and easy side dish that is elegant enough for a holiday meal. Also known as Tennessee Onions, these cheesy bites are most traditionally served on their own but there are several other great uses for this versatile side dish.
Ingredients in Air Fried Onions
Onions– clearly, you will need onions to make this recipe. I used Vidalia onions; however, any sweet onion would work perfectly well for this dish.
Garlic Powder– I prefer garlic powder to minced garlic for these Air Fried Onions as I feel it spreads more evenly throughout the dish and avoids any raw garlic flavor.
Black Pepper & Salt
Oregano– regular dried oregano is what you will need here as fresh oregano tends to have too strong of a flavor.
Butter– You can use butter from either sticks or a tub and whatever type of butter you prefer to use. I used olive oil butter for a lighter overall dish.
Sharp Cheddar Cheese- you can used either freshly shredded or pre-shredded cheese
Mozzarella Cheese– again, you can use either freshly shredded or pre-shredded cheese
Pepper Jack Cheese-as above, use either pre-shredded or freshly shredded pepper jack cheese
How to Make Air Fried Onions
Begin by spraying an air fryer safe cooking dish with olive oil spray. Peel the onions and slice into 1/2-3/4″ thick slices. Separate into rings and lace the rings into the prepared dish.
Add the black pepper, salt, garlic powder and oregano and stir gently to combine.
Either slice the butter into small pats or scoop out using a small spoon. Spread evenly around the seasoned onions in the dish.
Top the onions with the shredded cheddar cheese, shredded mozzarella cheese and the shredded pepper jack cheese.
Finally, place the dish into a pre-heated air fryer at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until the cheese is melted, top is beginning to brown and the onions are thoroughly cooked through.
Ways to serve Air Fried Onions
The most classic way to serve these this dish is on its own as a side dish, casserole style. That said, there are several other preparations that would work great for these air fried onions.
Serve them atop a hamburger instead of using a place slice of cheese for an ultra-flavorful cheeseburger
Serve the onions over toast or bruschetta for a crispy, bite-sized appetizer version of the dish.
What to serve with Onion Casserole?
Onion casserole can be served as a main dish or as a side dish, depending on the occasion and the other dishes you’re serving. Here are some ideas for what to serve with onion casserole:
- Salad: A simple green salad or a side salad with vinaigrette dressing pairs well with onion casserole.
- Roasted vegetables: Roasted vegetables such as carrots, broccoli, or Brussels sprouts complement the sweetness of the onions in the casserole.
- Grilled or roasted meat: Onion casserole can be served as a side dish with grilled or roasted meat such as chicken, beef, or pork.
- Rice or mashed potatoes: A side of rice or mashed potatoes can provide a comforting and filling accompaniment to the casserole.
- Bread: Sliced bread or dinner rolls can be used to soak up any excess sauce or cheese in the casserole, making for a satisfying and delicious meal.
Can Air Fried Onions be prepared in advance?
Absolutely. For best results, prepare the dish up to the point of topping with the cheese. Cover the fully assembled dish tightly in plastic wrap and store in a refrigerator until you are ready to air fry the dish.
Need some other great side dishes to make in the air fryer?
Air Fryer Texas Toast – you will love this homemade version of the classic dish which tastes so much fresher that the frozen variety. This Texas toast would also be very good as a base for the air fried onions.
Air Fryer Stuffed Mushrooms– are another easy, elegant, veggie-based side dish that would be perfect for parties or for a formal holiday meal.
Avocado Egg Rolls– are an easy copycat version of the popular Cheesecake Factory dish. This lighter version is air fried, rather than deep fried and yet still packs a ton of flavor.
Air Fryer Garlic Knots are about the easiest possible version of the classic Italian side dish.
Air Fried Onions
- Air Fryer
- 2-3 Sweet Onions sliced into ½” rings and separated
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 Tablespoons butter softened
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- Spray a baking dish with olive oil spray. Add the onions, separated into rings. Add the seasonings (garlic powder, pepper, salt and oregano) and stir a bit to combine.
- Dab bits of the butter around the dish. Top with the shredded cheeses.
- Air fry at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes until the cheese is golden and melted and the onions are fully softened.