These super easy Air Fryer Banana Fritters are made with only 2 ingredients! I also share a kid-friendly hack to let your littles “help.”
What are Banana Fritters?
Banana fritters are very popular in South America. They are traditionally, banana-heavy fried dough rounds. Our version keeps the bananas as the central ingredient, but eliminates the deep frying entirely. The focus of these Banana fritters is keeping things as simple as possible, which is the whole theme of this site after all.
This is the TRUE magic of this recipe. I has only TWO ingredients. Yes two, not two and I’m going to tell you you likely have 15 spices around that “don’t count” just two and a bit of olive oil spray. These are a winner! So here is what you will need:
Bananas-4 bananas. You want over-ripe bananas for this recipe, the kind that is blackening all over the peel to the point you are getting ready to toss them. (Coincidentally, that is where the idea for this recipe came to be).
Banana Muffin Mix– I used this 15.4oz box of banana nut muffins. If you want to avoid the nuts, you could easily substitute plain banana muffin mix, or even something like cinnamon or vanilla muffin mix, just try to keep the proportions similar.
How to Make Air Fryer Banana Fritters
To let kids help:
This is one of the main benefits of this dish! It is SO easy to add kid helpers! To make this dish with children, first add the bananas to a gallon-sized bag, release any excess air and seal. Smush the bananas using your hands very well until smooth. KIDS CAN TOTALLY DO THIS, just with a bit of instruction. You can see my four year old in the photo above mushing the bananas for this dish. You just want to make sure they understand not to be so rough that the bag may rip as that would eliminate the purpose of bag, ie, avoiding the mess!
Next, pour in the box of muffin mix and continue to smush until well combined. Basically stirring it all around until everything is evenly combined. Kids can help in this area as well but will likely need a bit more assistance that with the bananas. Adults will want to assist to ensure that everything is evenly combined. You will also want to ensure you are not overworking your mixture which could cause issues with the fritters being able to rise appropriately.
To Make without Kids (aka to simplify):
Add the bananas simply to a bowl, and mash using a fork. If you prefer you can still mash the bananas using your hands, and even the bag if you like, I just feel the muffin mixture combines more evenly in the bowl instead of the bag but whatever works for you will be great. Add in the muffin mixture and stir well to combine.
To Finish the Air Fryer Banana Fritters (kid-way or standard)
Line the basket of your air fryer with parchment paper.
Drop the prepared mixture by Tablespoons onto the parchment paper. Make sure to leave a bit of space between the spoonfulls so that it allows a bit of room for the fritters to spread.
Spray the Air Fryer Banana Fritters lightly with olive oil spray.
Heat the air fryer to 380 and cook for 7-9 minutes, until becoming lightly browned on top.
Allow the fritters to sit for at least 5 minutes before trying to move them so they can fully set up.
After that top the air fryer banana fritters by dusting with confectioner’s sugar, topping with vanilla drizzle or serve with some whipped cream or berry compote.
Looking for some other great recipes to make with your kids?
If you enjoyed making these air fryer banana fritters with your kids, here are some other easy to follow recipes you may enjoy making alongside your kids.
- Air Fryer Bagel Bites These made from scratch version of the frozen classic is free of any sketch and are still very easy to make. Kids will enjoy helping to make the simple dough and even mould the rounds. Mine also enjoyed helping to apply their own toppings. These are very forgiving which makes them a great dish for kids.
- Strawberry Cheesecake Cookies are another easy fix dish that kids will enjoy helping to make. Their smaller size also makes them a better choice for snacking without spoiling smaller appetites.
Air Fryer Banana Fritters
- Air Fryer
- 4 medium overripe bananas
- 1 15.25oz, box banana muffin mix
- Olive oil spray
- Kid help instructions
- Place the bananas in a gallon sized zip-top bag.
- Squeeze out the air and mash the bananas using your hands.
- Pour the muffin mix in the top of the bag.
- Continue to “mush and squash” until well combined.
- Standard instructions
- Place the bananas in a large bowl. Use a fork to mash the bananas. Add in the muffin mix and stir to combine.
- Overall Instructions
- Get the bananas and the muffin mixed in your choice of manner.
- Line your air fryer basket with air fryer parchment paper.
- Drop the mixture by Tablespoons onto the prepared trays. Allow a bit of space as the fritters will spread a bit as they cook.
- Spray the fritters lightly with olive oil spray.
- Air fry for 380 for 7-9 minutes until the fritters are browned on top and cooked through.
- Allow the fritters to sit for approximately 5 minutes before attempting to move.
- Remove them to a plate and lightly dust with confectioner’s sugar.