What are Air Fryer Breadsticks?
These are not simply frozen breadsticks, popped in the air fryer, and then served as “homemade.” These breadsticks have a homemade dough and fresh toppings. The taste is SO much better than anything pre-made. You will never want a frozen breadstick again!
What are the ingredients for Air Fryer Breadsticks?
First you will need the ingredients for the dough. For that you will need:
- Active dry yeast (regular, active dry yeast, not instant/or rapid rise)
- Brown sugar (either light or dark will work just fine, so just use whatever you have on hand).
- Warm water
- All purpose flour
- Shredded cheddar cheese (you could substitute shredded mozzarella or pepperjack if that is your preference or what you happen to have on hand).
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
For the toppings you will need:
- Olive oil spray (or other cooking spray of your choice)
- Deli white American cheese. I really do not suggest substituting this ingredient as I feel this is the best cheese for these breadsticks and gives the best overall flavor. It seems like an unusual choice, but trust me, this is the “secret ingredient” that really makes these breadsticks work.
- Shredded cheddar cheese (I prefer this option; however, you could substitute shredded mozzarella cheese if that is your preference).
- Garlic powder
- Italian seasoning
- Kosher salt
How do I make Air Fryer Breadsticks?
- Begin by proofing the yeast. Do so by combining the yeast with the brown sugar and the warm water. Lightly stir to combine and allow the yeast to rest until it becomes foamy.
- Once the yeast is prepared, add the flour, cheddar cheese, olive oil and salt and mix well. Knead gently until a smooth dough forms adding a small amount of additional flour only if needed to not be too sticky.
- Place the dough ball aside in a large bowl and seal to rise for 30-45 minutes.
- Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit the size of your air fryer shelf. Spread the dough out on the sheet to ¼” thickness. Lightly cover the dough and allow it to rise for 30-45 minutes.
- Use your fingers to make divots all over the dough. Spray with the olive oil spray. Sprinkle with the shredded American cheese and the cheddar cheese. Sprinkle with garlic powder, Italian seasoning and salt.
- Preheat the air fryer and then air fry the breadsticks for 8 minutes.
- Slice and serve warm, alone or with your choice of dipping sauce.
To store leftover homemade breadsticks, follow these steps:
- Let the breadsticks cool completely before storing them.
- Wrap the breadsticks tightly in aluminum foil or plastic wrap to prevent air from getting in.
- Place the wrapped breadsticks in an airtight container or resealable plastic bag.
- Label the container or bag with the date to help you keep track of when they were made.
- Store the breadsticks in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days or in the freezer for up to 2-3 months.
When you’re ready to enjoy the leftover breadsticks, remove them from the refrigerator or freezer and allow them to come to room temperature. You can reheat them in the oven or toaster oven at 350°F (180°C) for a few minutes until they are heated through and crispy again.
What are some great dishes to serve with Air Fryer Breadsticks?
- How about soup?
- Instant Pot Alphabet Vegetable Soup is a simplified twist on the beloved childhood classic that packs in tons of healthy veggies to make even the adults happy.
- If dipping breadsticks in your soup sounds appealing, you might enjoy this Instant Pot Copycat Panera Creamy Tomato Basil Soup. The cheese on the breadsticks will be reminiscent of traditional grilled cheese and tomato soup.
- Or try a twist on another restaurant favorite with this vegetarian-friendly version of the popular soup with this Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana which will transport you right to your favorite Italian restaurant.
- Maybe pasta?
- Creamy Kale Pasta is a veggie-packed pasta dish that is perfect for a light Spring or Summer meal when paired with the Air Fryer Breadsticks.
- Pasta Margherita
- A pizza?
- Put your air fryer on double-duty with this Air Fryer Flatbread Pizza. Pizza, breadsticks, what more could you want for a yummy take-out at home dinner time.
- Instant Pot Carrots and Potatoes is an amazingly easy light main dish to serve with the breadsticks. Or make it more of a hearty meal by serving both along with your favorite protein.
Air Fryer Breadsticks
- FOR THE DOUGH
- 1 ⅛ teaspoon active dry yeast half a standard packet
- 1/2 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
- ¾-1 cups warm water
- 1 ¾ cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- FOR THE TOPPING
- Olive oil spray
- 3 slices deli American cheese
- ½- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½- ¾ teaspoons kosher salt
- Combine the yeast, brown sugar and water in a large bowl. Lightly mix and set aside until the yeast becomes foamy, 5-10 minutes.
- Add the remaining dough ingredients and knead until a smooth dough forms. Place the dough in a large bowl and lightly seal with a lid or plastic wrap. Allow to rise for 30-45 minutes.
- Spread the dough out on a sheet of parchment paper and spread to approximately ¼” thick. (make sure the size you roll out will fit in your air fryer basket, make multiple sheets if needed). Cover lightly and allow to rest for 20-30 minutes.
- Use your fingers to make divots all around the dough. Spray with the olive oil spray. Sprinkle with the shredded American cheese and the cheddar. Sprinkle with the garlic powder, Italian seasoning and salt.
- Preheat the air fryer to 360. Air fry for 8 minutes or until dough is browned and cooked through.
- Slice in your desired size and serve warm.
Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to use multiple sheets of dough.