Air fryer chile rellenos enchilada bake is a delicious and flavorful dish that combines the smoky and spicy flavors of roasted poblano peppers with the savory taste of enchilada sauce and cheese. Here are some reasons why you might want to eat an air fryer chile relleno enchilada bake:
- Flavorful: The combination of roasted poblano peppers, enchilada sauce, and cheese creates a complex and delicious flavor profile that is both smoky and spicy.
- Easy to make: Using an air fryer to cook the chile rellenos makes this dish much easier and faster to prepare than traditional oven-baked recipes.
- Healthy: Air frying the chile rellenos instead of deep-frying them can reduce the amount of oil and calories in the dish, making it a healthier option.
- Versatile: You can customize this recipe by adding different types of cheese or changing the filling to suit your taste preferences.
- Comfort food: The cheesy, saucy, and spicy flavors in this dish make it a satisfying and comforting meal that is perfect for a family dinner or potluck.
Overall, an air fryer chile relleno enchilada bake is a delicious and versatile dish that is easy to make and packed with flavor.
White onion: you could substitute yellow or sweet onion if you prefer
6 medium tomatoes: 12 roma tomatoes would also work
Garlic: freshly minced or pressed will give you the best flavor
Salt & Pepper
Cottage cheese: I used 1% cottage cheese; however, feel free to use whatever your favorite is
Hot Sauce: I almost always use this one
Corn tortillas: either yellow or white will work just fine
Sharp cheddar cheese: I used yellow, white would work as well if that is your preference
Pepper Jack Cheese
Chili powder & Extra hot sauce: Depending on the time of year, the spiciness of poblano peppers can vary greatly. The sauce for these air fryer chile rellenos is rather mild to accommodate the potential spiciness of the poblano peppers. If your peppers are mild, or if you prefer a spicier dish, you may wish to consider adding extra heat via chili powder or hot sauce.
How to make Air Fryer Chile Rellenos
Begin by preparing your poblano peppers and onion to roast using the directions below. Roast them in the air fryer and then set the poblano peppers aside to steam, cool and then be peeled.
Chop the poblano peppers and combine with the freshly shredded cheeses. Set the onions in the food processor.
Along with the onions, also process the tomatoes and garlic. Heat a sauce pan with oil and simmer the mixture down to make the enchilada sauce.
Blend the cottage cheese, salt and hot sauce to make the cheese sauce.
Prepare a baking pan and begin layering the chile rellenos enchiladas.
Air Fry as directed, allow to cool briefly, slice and serve.
Are Air Fryer Chile Rellenos Enchiladas Spicy?
The spiciness of this dish will really depend on several factors. This dish can range from mild to fairly spicy. Here are the factors that will affect the spice level of the dish:
- How spicy are your poblano peppers. This can range a great deal from pepper to pepper ranging from mild like a bell pepper to somewhat spicy.
- What additions you add: choosing to add extra chili powder or hot sauce will certainly change the spice level of the dish.
Why Chop and Seed the Poblano Peppers for the Air Fryer Chile Rellenos before roasting?
I find this process makes things so much easier when dealing with poblanos. This is especially true if you were ever making stuffed poblano peppers which can tend to want to fall apart after roasting, but are quite easy to deal with beforehand. Since you will not need the seeds or stems for this dish, it just simplifies the process. Here is how to do this:
- Begin by chopping the tops off of the poblano peppers.
- Next cut the stems and seeds out of the pepper using a circular motion.
- Tap to remove any remaining seeds.
How to store and reheat air fryer enchilada casserole
- Refrigerate: Allow the enchilada casserole to cool to room temperature before storing it in an airtight container or a sealable plastic bag. Place the container or bag in the refrigerator, where it can be stored for up to 3-4 days.
- Freeze: If you want to store the enchilada casserole for a longer period, you can freeze it. Allow the casserole to cool down completely before placing it in an airtight container or a sealable freezer bag. Label the container or bag with the date and freeze for up to 2-3 months.
When you are ready to reheat the enchilada casserole, here are some options:
- Oven: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the enchilada casserole in an oven-safe dish and cover with foil. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the casserole is heated through.
- Microwave: Place a serving of the enchilada casserole on a microwave-safe plate and cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave for 1-2 minutes or until heated through.
- Stovetop: Place the enchilada casserole in a pot on the stovetop and heat over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until heated through.
What to serve with Air Fryer Chile Relleno Enchilada Casserole?
An air fryer chile relleno enchilada casserole is a delicious and filling dish that can be served on its own or with a variety of sides. Here are some ideas for sides that would pair well with this dish:
- Rice: A side of Mexican rice is a classic accompaniment to enchiladas and would complement the flavors in the chile relleno enchilada bake.
- Beans: Refried beans or black beans are another traditional Mexican side dish that would go well with the enchilada bake.
- Salad: A fresh salad with a tangy dressing would help cut through the richness of the enchilada bake and provide a refreshing contrast to the spicy flavors.
- Guacamole and chips: A side of guacamole and tortilla chips would add some crunch and creaminess to the meal.
- Roasted vegetables: Roasted vegetables like zucchini, bell peppers, or carrots would be a healthy and flavorful side dish that would complement the flavors in the enchilada bake.
Overall, any of these sides would pair well with an air fryer chile relleno enchilada bake, but feel free to experiment and find your own favorite pairings.