What is Air Fryer Flatbread Pizza with Pimento Cheese?
This is one of my favorite air fryer dishes, and for good reason: it is incredibly easy to make, just fancy enough for company, keeps well and is quite versatile. It has an amazingly light, flakey crust that works very well on its own for some recipe remixes (see below) which also makes an amazing crust for this pizza. Using premade pimento cheese can make this recipe even easier.
What are the Ingredients for Air Fryer Flatbread Pizza?
For this easy dish, here is what you will need:
- Rapid Rise Yeast
- You do not want to substitute active dry yeast, as the rapid rise is part of what helps this be a quick and easy recipe
- Brown Sugar
- Use either light or dark, whatever you happen to have on hand
- Warm water
- All Purpose Flour
- Prepared Pimento Cheese
- I used Palmetto Brand with jalapenos, the jalapenos are totally optional. Select any brand you prefer or feel free to substitute homemade or pimento cheese from your favorite deli or restaurant. As the salt content can vary widely among recipes, this will affect if you need to add salt to the dough or not.
- I used olive oil. You could also substitute canola or any other neutral oil of your preference.
- Cherry Tomato Slices
- I really like these for the presentation it creates. Also, I prefer this look if I am serving this dish in smaller bite-sized pieces for parties, etc. That said, sliced roma tomatoes or any other fresh, ripe tomatoes, sliced thinly would work the same flavor wise.
How to Make Air Fryer Flatbread Pizza with Pimentos?
- Begin by combining the yeast, brown sugar and water. Mix lightly and set aside until foamy.
- Stir in the remaining dough ingredients and knead until smooth but being careful not to over-knead the dough as it can lead to a denser final result. Set aside to rest.
- Spread out the dough using your hands (the dough stretches very easily so a rolling pin is not needed in this case). Make sure the final bread will fit in your air fryer basket. Set aside to rest again.
- Add the toppings of your choice. Preheat the air fryer and air fry according to the times listed below.
- When done cooking, allow to sit aside for a few minutes before slicing.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
What are some other ways to use the Air Fryer Flatbread Pizza?
Here are a few ideas that you can consider:
- First, have it exactly as it is written, it turns out amazing with no need to remix at all; however, if you are like me, you will instantly be obsessed with the pimento cheese crust and want to find ALL THE WAYS to make it have an appearance on a menu.
- Cut in bite-sized pieces and serve as a party appetizer. These are quite popular at parties and, unless you reveal the secret of how easy this recipe is, you can leave people thinking you spent hours slaving away on this dish.
- Consider making the crust without the topping.
- Use the crust to make small sandwiches filled with tomatoes and mayo or cream cheese
- Make it a grilled cheese
- Cut into strips and use for dipping
- Serve open-face sandwiches atop the bread
What to Serve with Air Fryer Flatbread Pizza?
Here are a few ideas of dishes that I particularly like with this recipe, even though it makes a fine meal on its own.
- Instant Pot Cajun Pasta pairs a bit of spice with another recipe made SUPER-FAST. This would make for a hearty meal perfect for a chilly day.
- Italian Roasted Vegetables make a perfect match for this Air Fryer Pizza. They would also be amazing served atop the pizza to add a bit of veggies.
- Instant Pot Copycat Panera Creamy Tomato Basil Soup lets you bring the restaurant home. This soup makes for a perfect side dish for the pizza as it provides a unique twist on the classic pairing of grilled cheese and tomato soup.
- Lemon Roasted Mixed Vegetables make for a nice light pairing for the pimento pizza. This combo would be perfect for a Spring dinner or a cold Winter’s day while day-dreaming of warmer times.
Air Fryer Flatbread Pizza
- FOR THE DOUGH:
- 1 ⅛ teaspoons rapid rise yeast half of a standard size packet
- ½ Tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ + ⅛ cups warm water
- 1 ¾ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup prepared pimento cheese
- ⅛ cup oil
- Optional salt
- For the Topping:
- 8 oz prepared pimento cheese use more or less to your liking
- 10-12 cherry tomatoes sliced
- Sprinkling of kosher salt
- Combine the yeast, brown sugar and water in a large bowl. Lightly stir to dissolve the yeast and allow to stand until foamy, 5-10 minutes.
- Add the flour, pimento cheese, and oil. Depending on how salty your pimento cheese is, you may or may not wish to add any salt.
- Knead well until the dough is smooth. Cover with a lid or plastic wrap and set aside until nearly doubled in size, 30-45 minutes.
- Spread the dough out in a large rectangle on a sheet of parchment paper until it is around ¼” thick. Cover lightly with a towel and allow to rest for another 20-30 minutes.
- Top with the pimento spread, cherry tomatoes and salt.
- Preheat the air fryer to 360. Cook for 8-11 minutes until beginning to brown and fully cooked through.
- Set aside to cool for a few minutes before slicing.
I used Palmetto brand pimento cheese with jalapenos.
Once you have rolled out the dough, make sure to take a moment to check that it will fit your air fryer tray and adjust as needed to fit smoothly.