What are Air Fryer Garlic Knots?
Garlic knots originated in the New York area in the 1940s. They began as a way to use up extra pizza dough without waste. The dish is really just as it sounds, small knots of dough covered with a garlic-y spread and baked, or in this case, air fried to side dish perfection.
Why make pizza dough garlic knots in the air fryer?
I love these garlic knots in the air fryer for several reasons. One of the first is how fast it allows the knots to be prepared. Most air fryers preheat in simply a minute or two, much less than many conventional ovens. They also cook faster, 6-8 minutes in this case, compared with 12-15 in a traditional oven. For me, anywhere I can save time, I’m all for it.
Another great reason is the texture. In my experience some recipes with store-bought pizza dough made in a conventional oven can turn out a little bit dense or overly tough. These air fryer garlic knots come out lightly crisped on the outside and soft on the inside.
What are the ingredients for Air Fryer Garlic Knots?
These simple pizza dough garlic knots make this recipe extremely easy and weeknight friendly for sure. Here are the ingredients you will need to make these Air Fryer Garlic Knots:
- Pizza dough. This includes any premade pizza dough of your choice. I used a can of Pillsbury pizza dough, however, any brand will work. Similarly, fresh pizza dough from a local pizza shop would also work just fine.
- Butter. Plant or olive oil based butters work just fine.
- Grated parmesan cheese. This is the parmesan cheese that comes in the, typically, green can, not the cheese which is freshly shredded or shaved from a block of fresh Parmesan cheese.
- Garlic powder
- Dried oregano
- Dried parsley
- Garlic salt.
How do you make Air Fryer Garlic Knots?
One of the best parts of making these garlic knots is just how simple they are to make. Here are the easy steps:
- Divide the pizza dough into 16 equal pieces. Roll each ball out into a nice even strip. Literally tie the dough in a knot tucking any excess ends around the ball.
- Melt the butter and mix in the seasonings and the grated parmesan cheese.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the garlic butter mixture on top of the dough knots.
- Add the knots to the basket of the air fryer and pre heat the air fryer.
- Quickly air fry for a mere 6 to 8 minutes until becoming golden on top. Serve immediately for best results.
What to serve with Air Fryer Garlic Knots?
Here are a few, equally easy recipes, that would go great with these garlic knots. I intentionally avoided other Air Fryer recipes as most people only have one air fryer. That way, you can prepare a whole meal at the same time instead of having to make dishes in tandem. Let’s start:
- Instant Pot Garlic Noodles are one of the easiest recipes on this site. It involves placing ingredients in the pressure cooker, no pre-saute, chopping, etc is needed. Stir in the cheese and allow to thicken a bit and dinner is served. Garlic Knots & Garlic Noodles amounts to a perfect weeknight friendly make at home meal.
- Spaghetti & Meatball Cupcakes Are a great pairing for the garlic knots, especially if dinner happens to be on-the-go. Prepare either or both in advance and these can both be enjoyed as easily at home or at the soccer field.
- Instant Pot Minestrone This makes for such a cozy winter pairing. Soup, garlic knots, fuzzy slippers….bring on the cold front.
- Instant Pot Pasta Margherita This pasta tastes just like it came from your favorite Italian restaurant so it is only fitting to serve it with a side dish that also reminds you of eating away from home.
- Creamed Spinach Not necessarily a main dish, but if you are planning a true Italian feast, you may wish to include this luscious creamed spinach as an additional side item.
- Copycat Panera Creamy Tomato Basil Soup While the plain baguette that Panera serves with this soup is just fine, adding the Air Fryer Garlic Knots makes an amazing soup even more amazing.
Air Fryer Garlic Knots
- Air Fryer
- 1 canister pizza dough
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- Divide the dough into 16 equal pieces. Roll each ball into a rope and tie in a knot, tucking in any excess ends.
- Melt the butter and mix in the seasonings and the grated parmesan.
- Use a pastry brush to brush the garlic butter mixture on top of the dough knots.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400. Add the garlic knots and cook for 6-8 minutes until becoming golden on top. Serve immediately.