What are Air Fryer Pinwheels?
An amazingly versatile dish that works well in a variety of ways. These pinwheels are great as a light main dish, an easy appetizer, perfect for an appetizer party or even as a side dish. They are simple, yet so flavorful and something that will be enjoyed by all.
What are the Ingredients in Air Fryer Pinwheel Calzones?
These easy to assemble pinwheels also consist of easy to find ingredients, many of which you may already have available in your home right now. Here is what you will need:
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cottage cheese
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Green bell pepper
- Italian seasoning
- Refrigerated crescent rolls
- Pizza sauce or marinara
Are there any ingredient swaps that would work well?
Sure, there are several easy substitutions that would be fine for the dish, so here are a few easy swaps, should you be so inclined:
- For the shredded mozzarella: shredded five cheese Italian, provolone, swiss or even pepperjack would work well
- For the cottage cheese: ricotta would be an easy substitute if that is your preference
- For the diced pepperoni: you could substitute turkey pepperoni, mini pepperoni, or simply remove if they are not to your liking
- For the diced green pepper: you could consider diced red bell peppers
- For the pizza sauce: pizza sauce, marinara sauce, ranch dressing, herbed butter, no dip at all, there are many ways to serve these pinwheels.
- Things that really should not be replaced:
- The grated parmesan cheese
- The diced onion
- The Italian seasoning
- The salt
- The crescent rolls
How to Make Air Fryer Pinwheels:
- Begin by heating the oven and pureeing the cottage cheese to a smooth consistency.
- Next, combine the cottage cheese, shredded cheese, pepperoni, parmesan, bell pepper, onion, Italian seasoning and salt until the mixture is well combined.
- Halve the crescent roll tin and press sides together to form two long strips. Press all of the seams closed until you have two long, even rectangles.
- Spread the combined cheese mixture on each of the strips, leaving a small border.
- Roll up each of the rolls and slice into eight even slices.
- Spray the pinwheels, air fry and serve!
What to serve with Air Fryer Pinwheels?
- Instant Pot Garlic Noodles are a wonderfully creamy pasta dish that pairs amazingly well with these pizza rolls and pizza sauce dip.
- Green Olive Puttanesca is another pasta dish that would pair well with these Air Fryer Pinwheels. The sharp, freshness of the green olives is a nice contrast to the cheesy richness of the Pinwheels.
- Instant Pot Minestrone is a really easy soup recipe for the Instant Pot that works very well with these Air Fryer Pinwheels.
- Instant Pot Copycat Panera Creamy Tomato Soup This easy restaurant copycat dish is a perfect accompaniment to these easy pinwheels which also work great as “dippers” for the soup.
What are some ideas for other appetizers or small bites to serve alongside Air Fryer Pinwheels for parties, etc?
These bites are great anytime, but also work great for an easy spread for parties, events or holidays. Here are a few other ideas that would also work well:
- Chicken wings or fingers
- Freshly Cut fruit
- Meatballs like these easy Instant Pot Meatballs with Cranberry Glaze
- Cheese Cubes
- Jalapeno Poppers
- Air Fryer Mac & Cheese Balls are another great option
How to store Air Fryer Pinwheels?
These are so easy to make and really delicious, so it seems unlikely that you would have a bunch left over. I mean I want to list ‘nosh’ as the what to do with leftovers.
That said, I know I am an over-planner. Any event that comes up, I would rather have too much food, than not enough, so I get it.
These pinwheels will keep fairly well for 2-3 days when stored in an airtight container. They can be reheated in a microwave, for warmth, or lightly re-crisped in the oven or air fryer.
Air Fryer Pinwheels
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup cottage cheese
- ¼ cup diced pepperoni
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup diced green pepper
- 2 Tablespoons diced onion
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 8 oz refrigerated crescent rolls
- 1 jar pizza sauce
- Heat oven to 375.
- Puree the cottage cheese in a mini blender until smooth (*alternatively, you could substitute ricotta cheese).
- In a medium bowl, combine the shredded mozzarella, pureed cottage cheese, diced pepperoni, grated parmesan cheese, green pepper, diced onion, Italian seasoning and salt, until well combined.
- Cut the crescent roll in half. Line up 2, long-side halves next to one another and press all seams closed.
- Gently spread the cheese mixture, dividing between the two strips, evenly, leaving a slight border.
- Roll each up, jelly-roll style. Slice each roll into 8 even slices.
- Pre-heat the air fryer to 300 for 5 minutes.
- Spray the inside of the air fryer lightly with cooking spray. Add the slices, cut side down and lightly spray the tops*. Set for 5 minutes at 300 degrees.
- When the cooking time is done, gently flip and cook for an additional 5 minutes at 300 degrees.