This beyond easy air fryer pizza sandwich is so fun. These Pizza melts are super-portable, kid-friendly and so easy to customize. These are sure to be a new favorite.
Ingredients in Air Fryer Pizza Sandwich
Pizza Dough-For this dish you will need pre-made pizza dough. You can use either a tube of pizza dough or a ball of fresh dough, either will work just fine.
Pizza Sauce-Again, use a prepared pizza sauce. This can be homemade, jarred, or purchased from your local pizza parlor, whatever is your favorite.
Shredded Cheese-I used shredded cheddar for these Air Fryer Pizza Sandwiches as that is what we prefer; however, you could easily use shredded mozzarella, pepper jack, or whatever cheese you prefer.
Olive oil Spray– This is how you will be able to prepare the waffle iron before prepping the sandwiches.
Optional Toppings– These pizza sandwiches work best when you keep it fairly simple, but a small amount of dry toppings, such as a bit of ham, pepperoni or sausage will work well on these paninis.
How to Make Air Fryer Pizza Sandwich
One of the best parts of these sandwiches is how easy they are to prepare. You can also prepare the sandwiches through the “waffling” portion and then air fry when you are ready to serve them.
Begin by dividing up the pizza dough into 12 equal portions, which will yield 6 sandwiches.
Spray a small waffle iron with olive oil spray. Add one portion of dough to the bottom of the waffle iron. Top with 1 Tablespoon of sauce and 1 Tablespoon of cheese. Add a second ball of dough on top and press to close. Allow to cook until golden brown. This should take about 5 minutes.
Remove to a plate and repeat with the remaining ingredients.
Finally, air fry the sandwiches for 5-7 minutes until crisped, golden and the cheese is melted and serve immediately.
Ways to customize pizza grilled cheese in the air fryer
- Pick your cheese: The cheese is an important part of the grilled cheese. Use a mix of your favorite cheeses like mozzarella, cheddar, or provolone. You could also try adding some feta or Parmesan for extra flavor.
- Add pizza toppings: The toppings are what make the pizza grilled cheese taste like pizza. You could add anything you like, from pepperoni and sausage to mushrooms and olives. Other options include diced tomatoes, green peppers, onions, or pineapple.
- Use pizza sauce: To add a pizza flavor to your grilled cheese, spread some pizza sauce on the bread before adding the cheese and toppings.
- Experiment with seasonings: Add some Italian seasoning, garlic powder, or red pepper flakes to give your pizza grilled cheese an extra kick of flavor.
- Try different cooking methods: You could make your pizza grilled cheese in a pan on the stove, or try grilling it on a panini press or outdoor grill for a crispy crust.
- Serve with dipping sauce: For an extra touch, serve your pizza grilled cheese with a side of marinara sauce or ranch dressing for dipping.
Overall, the possibilities are endless when it comes to customizing your pizza grilled cheese, so have fun and experiment with different ingredients to find your perfect combination.
What to serve with Air Fryer Pizza Sandwich
- Salad: A light and refreshing salad is a great way to balance out the richness of the pizza grilled cheese. Try a simple green salad with a vinaigrette dressing or a Caesar salad with croutons and Parmesan cheese.
- Soup: Tomato soup is a classic pairing with grilled cheese sandwiches, and it also goes well with pizza flavors. Try making a homemade tomato soup or serve canned tomato soup for a quick and easy option.
- Chips or Fries: A side of crispy fries or chips is always a good choice with a sandwich. You could try making homemade oven-baked fries or serve a bag of your favorite chips.
- Garlic bread: If you’re in the mood for even more bread, serve your pizza grilled cheese with a side of garlic bread. You could use the same bread as your sandwich and add garlic butter and herbs.
- Roasted vegetables: Roasted vegetables are a healthy and flavorful side dish that can balance out the richness of the pizza grilled cheese. Try roasting some broccoli, cauliflower, or zucchini with olive oil and seasoning.
- Fruit: A bowl of fresh fruit is a refreshing and healthy way to round out your meal. Try serving a mix of berries, grapes, and sliced melon.
Other great sandwiches you will love:
Pretzel Melts-these sandwiches are so fun and are are paired with an amazing homemade cheese sauce.
If you love Italian dishes, try our Eggplant Parmesan Calzone.
Air Fryer Pizza Sandwich
- Air Fryer
- 1 tube pizza dough
- Pizza Sauce
- Shredded Cheese
- Olive oil spray
- Divide dough into 12 equal slices. Spray waffle maker with olive oil spray. Place a dough ball, top with approximately 1 Tablespoon of sauce and approximately 1 Tablespoon of cheese. Top with a second ball of dough. Squeeze the lid closed and cook for approximately 5 minutes.
- Air fry 375 for 5-8 minutes until warmed through.
[…] Air Fryer Pizza Sandwiches are easy to make ahead and even batch freeze. Kids love these pizza-flavored favorites that, once assembled take mere minutes to cook. These are also absolutely ideal for on the go meals where you may not want to give little hands a regular slice of pizza in the car, but can give them the same flavors in this much-less-mess-inducing sandwich. […]
air fryer pizza sandwich