What are Baby Portobello Mushrooms in the Air fryer: Stuffed Mushrooms?
This recipe is a short-cut take on a traditionally “fancy” appetizer. The twist here is that we have created a really simple way to make this classic dish and by using the air fryer, the dish can be prepared in almost no time. This combo makes it perfect for a weeknight side or the perfect dish to serve at parties or holiday appetizer spreads.
What are the Ingredients in Air Fryer Stuffed Mushrooms?
Begin with the mushrooms. I used large button mushrooms (or white mushrooms as they are also called). You could also use large “baby” bella mushrooms without making any other alterations to the recipe.
If you wanted this to be more of a main dish or heavier side dish instead of a bite sized appetizer, you could also use full sized portobello caps. Remove the gills but otherwise follow the recipe as directed below.
Beyond the mushrooms, here is what you will need for the filling:
- Crumbled Feta Cheese
- Crumbled Blue Cheese
- Chopped walnuts
- Plain breadcrumbs (I used regular, but you could substitute panko breadcrumbs if you prefer)
- Fresh Rosemary
- Olive oil cooking spray
How do you make Baby Poblano Mushrooms in the Air fryer?
- Begin by preparing the mushrooms. Gently wipe the mushrooms clean using a damp cloth or paper towel (you don’t want to rinse or soak the mushrooms as they will absorb too much moisture and you will be left with a soggy texture). Remove the stems and either discard or chop to use in another recipe.
- Lightly toast the walnuts. Put a dry skillet on the cooktop over medium-low heat. Add the chopped walnuts and cook, stirring frequently. Watch closely, as soon as they begin to become fragrant they are done, remove from heat immediately to they do not burn.
- Prepare the filling. Combine both cheeses, the toasted walnuts, breadcrumbs and rosemary in a small bowl until well blended.
- Prepare the air fryer. Line the basket of the air fryer with parchment paper or lightly spray with olive oil spray. Preheat to 360 degrees.
- Fill the mushrooms. Working one by one, use a small spoon to stuff the mushroom caps with the filling and mound a bit on top of each one. Place into the basket of the air fryer. Lightly spray the tops with the olive oil spray.
- Cook Place the prepared mushrooms in the air fryer and cook for seven minutes or until beginning to brown and turn golden.
What to do with leftover Baby Poblano Mushrooms in the Air fryer Filling?
Depending on the size and number of mushrooms you use, you may or may not have leftover filling. In the event you do have leftovers, here are some ideas to use it:
- Quesadillas: Add extra filling to a tortilla along with a handful of mozzarella cheese (the mozzarella melts a bit more easily than the feta and blue cheese and will help to hold the quesadilla together.. Spray lightly with olive oil spray and toast briefly in the oven.
- Grilled Cheese: Much like the quesadilla, add a bit of mozzarella, spread the outside of two slices of bread with mayo or butter, grill lightly on both sides.
- Apples or Pears: Either top slices and melt or cube some pears and/or green apple slices and make a salad.
- Wraps or Sandwiches: Add some grilled portobello strips and combine and use in sandwiches or wraps.
What are some other good appetizers or sides to serve with Air Fryer Stuffed Mushrooms?
Cranberry Meatballs is another very easy side dish that can easily be made ahead of time and takes minimal hands on time by utilizing frozen meatballs. You could even use mini-meatballs to make for smaller bites. Serve warm with skewers or toothpicks for serving.
Air Fryer Focaccia is another easy to make side dish that is very “pretty” to serve. It also allows you to get double use out of your Rosemary. Consider cutting into diamonds or triangles to serve as an appetizer.
Deviled Crab Cakes Crab cakes is another recipe that still has a bit of a “luxury” vibe to it. These Deviled Crab Cakes are easy to make at home. Full sized crab cakes served with Full sized portobello caps would be a nice meal for a date-night at home. To serve as an appetizer, consider making the crab cakes between ¼ and ½ of their original size (just lower cooking time accordingly.
Air Fryer Mac & Cheese Balls are another great bite-sized appetizer that will be super popular at parties or appetizer spreads.
Air Fryer Pinwheels are basically mini calzone bites also made in the air fryer. They can be customized with your favorite pizza toppings and would be a great way to use up some of these extra chopped mushroom stems.
Rosemary Sea Salt Bread is another great use for the rosemary and will be great served alongside the stuffed mushrooms. Pre-slice or set out with a bread knife for serving.
Air Fryer Stuffed Mushrooms
- 20 Large button mushrooms approximately, 1-16oz package
For the filling:
- 5 oz feta cheese crumbled
- 5 oz blue cheese crumbled
- ½ cup walnuts coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup plain breadcrumbs
- 2 Tablespoons fresh rosemary finely chopped
- Use a damp paper towel to gently clean the mushrooms. Remove the stems and either discard or use in another recipe.
- Place the walnuts in a small skillet and heat over medium-low heat for a few minutes. The very moment the nuts begin to be fragrant, remove from the heat so they do not burn.
- Make the filling by combining the feta cheese, blue cheese, walnuts, breadcrumbs and rosemary in a bowl. Stir well to combine.
- Spray the basket of the air fryer lightly with cooking oil or line with parchment paper.
- One by one, use a small spoon to stuff the mushroom caps with the cheese filling mounding a bit on the top of each. Place into the basket of the air fryer. Lightly spray the tops with cooking spray.
- Preheat the air fryer to 360 degrees. Add the mushrooms and cook for 7 minutes or until beginning to brown.
[…] try these Air Fryer Stuffed Mushrooms which are a simple, yet elegant appetizer that would work very well with this […]
[…] your Air Fryer on double-duty with these Air Fryer Stuffed Mushrooms that combine feta cheese, blue cheese, walnuts and […]
[…] Air Fryer Stuffed Mushrooms– are the fastest, easiest way possible to make stuffed mushrooms for a simple “fancy” side dish to pair with your cucumber ribbon salad. It would be perfect for a Mother’s Day brunch, or something similar. […]
[…] Air Fryer Stuffed Mushrooms […]
[…] Air Fryer Stuffed Mushrooms […]
Baby portobello mushrooms in the air fryer