This fresh and flavorful Texas Toast in the air fryer is the perfect accompaniment to so many of your favorite meals. This air fryer Texas toast has all the things you love about traditional Texas toast; the lightly crispy outside, the pillow-y soft inside and the delicious buttery garlic flavoring.
Why our version beats the store bought variety
This homemade version of Texas toast is so much fresher and better tasting than the frozen store bought variety that once you make it you will never go back. Here are a few of the reasons you will love this air fryer Texas toast:
- First, it is healthier. Instead of using margarine like the frozen kind, my version uses olive oil butter which cuts the fat and calories.
- It is cheaper. This homemade version costs roughly half the amount of a box of the frozen stuff to make.
- It is fresh. There is nothing like fresh bread, deliciously topped straight out of the oven, it is something that a freezer simply cannot compete with.
Ingredients needed to make Texas toast in the air fryer
- French Bread– for this recipe you want the big fluffy loaf of French bread, not the skinny, harder baguette. The fresher the better and bonus points if it is homemade.
- Olive oil butter– I chose this type of butter for this recipe because it has less “bad” fat and overall calories than traditional butter. If you prefer you could easily substitute regular butter.
- Garlic powder– I prefer garlic powder to fresh garlic in this recipe because it mixes more smoothly with the butter and thus allows the garlic flavor to be more evenly distributed around all of the bread instead of just in spots.
- Dried parsley– this works perfect for this recipe as fresh parsley would dry out in the cooking process anyways.
How to make Air Fryer Texas Toast?
One of the keys to making good Texas toast is making sure that you do not slice the bread too thinly. For this recipe, you want to slice the bread about 1” thick. You should be able to get 8 to 10 slices from your loaf.
Next, melt the butter and stir in the garlic powder and the dried parsley. Using a pastry brush, brush the fronts of the toast slices. Place the toast in the air fryer basket and then brush the back sides of the toast with the butter mixture as well.
Preheat the air fryer to 350. Add the Texas toast and cook for 5 minutes. Flip the bread over and continue to cook for an additional 3-5 minutes until both sides are lightly browned and crisped.
What are some things to serve with Air Fryer Texas Toast?
Soup– is a classic pairing for Texas toast. It is especially delicious when dipped in a great soup. Here are two to try:
- Tomato soup with toast is timeless. This copycat version of Panera’s Cream of Tomato Soup will be even better when served with some Texas toast.
- Kids will love the alphabet noodles and adults will love the how many healthy veggies are packed in this delicious ABC Vegetable Soup
Pasta-Skip the breadsticks and try this Texas toast with a great pasta dish. A couple of favorites:
- Instant Pot Garlic Parmesan Noodles are a simple upgrade to regular buttered noodles but with a bunch more flavor.
- Green Olive Puttanesca is a fresh take on traditional puttanesca and would be great with this Texas toast.
- Pasta margherita is made fast and easy in the Instant Pot
Use as a base– make it into a sandwich, serve it as a base for sloppy joes, or use in place of a hamburger bun, just use your imagination.
Pair with veggies-fill out a veggie packed meal such as these Italian style roasted vegetables.
Air Fryer Texas Toast
- 1 loaf French bread
- ½ cup olive oil butter
- ½ Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- Cut the bread into 1” thick slices and set aside. Melt the butter and stir in the garlic powder and dried parsley.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the butter mixture on both sides of the bread. Preheat the air fryer to 350. Place bread in the air fryer for 5 minutes, flip and continue cooking until both sides are lightly browned and toasted, 3-5 minutes.