This Beef empanada Pie is an easy weeknight baked beef empanada recipe. It gives you all the flavors of traditional empanadas in a much easier format.
This post may contain affiliate links, learn more from our disclaimer.
Beef Empanada Pie is Easy, here is why…
- It uses pre-made pie crust as the topping, no need to make your own dough!
- It is super healthy and weeknight friendly
- It pair well with a lot of different side dishes
- It comes together much more easily than traditional empanadas.
How to Make Beef Empanada Pie
Begin by sautéing the beef, onions and peppers in the olive oil Drain if needed. Add the tomatoes, the tomato sauce and the seasoning. Bring to a boil and allow to simmer for a few minutes to thicken a bit and allow the flavors to combine. Transfer to your prepared pie dish.
Next, gently unroll your pie crust. Seal the crust around the edges of the pie pan, crimping if desired. Cut a few small slits in the crust to allow it to vent. Pop in the oven and cook until the crust begins to brown and the meat mixture is bubbly, 25-30 minutes. Allow to set up for about 10 minutes. Slice and serve warm.
How can you customize Beef Empanada Pie
- Protein Try the pie with ground turkey or chicken to mix up the dish a bit
- Crust This would work just fine with homemade pie crust if that is your preference. I chose premade for the convenience factor.
- Salsa Red salsa would be great in the pie if you wanted to try that instead of the salsa verde
- Cheese Some pepper jack or sharp cheddar cheese would be delicious either mixed into the filling before covering or sprinkled atop the crust during the last 5 minutes of baking.
What to serve with Beef Empanada Pie?
Some great ideas might be:
- An avocado citrus salad
- Tortilla Soup
- Mexican Rice
- Tomato Salad
- Mexican Slaw
- Corn Salad
- Mexican Street Corn
- Beans & Rice
- Corn Pudding
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Refried bean dip
- Tortilla Chips with salsa or queso
Beef Empanada Pie
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 10oz can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 8oz can tomato sauce
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- 3/4 cup green salsa
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- Heat your oven to 400. Lightly spray a 9" pie pan or casserole dish with olive oil spray.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium. Add onion, green pepper and garlic powder and cook, stirring 3-5 minutes until softened.
- Add the beef, cook, breaking up until fully cooked and no longer pink. (Drain the extra fat if needed).
- Add all the seasonings, the diced tomatoes and the tomato sauce and stir. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 5 minutes to thicken slightly and mix the flavors.
- Pour the beef mixture into the pie pan.
- Unroll the pie crust. Crimp the edges if you like. Cut 5 small slits in the top to vent.
- Bake 25 minutes, or until beef mixture bubbles and edges are browned. Let sit for at least 10 minutes before cutting into 6 wedges.
- Serve with Sour cream and Green Salsa!