This Buffalo Egg Salad is a little bit spicy, a little bit cool, a whole lot of flavor and all packed into a super-healthy egg salad recipe!
Ingredients in Buffalo Egg Salad
So, I have a confession to make. I was getting ready to make this egg salad when one of my twins asked if he could “help.” There are times I love cooking with kids, and there are times, like that day, where I sort of shudder (the mess, the lack of measuring…) it can be enough to make a type a persona go crazy, and yet, who can really say no.
Fortunately, on this day, it was only one child who wanted to help, and he was in a measuring-spoon-happy mood. And, while he did NOT listen to my intended measurements, I feel we stumbled into a happy accident as I feel his Buffalo sauce volume was actually the right choice for this egg salad. So, with that said, I will admit–after the initial mixing, this salad will likely taste a bit HOT. But, trust us, and let it sit. The next morning it was exactly how I thought it should be. So, what did said child and I come up with for the ingredients? Here you go:
Eggs-a given in any egg salad dish. We used 7 hard boiled eggs for this recipe. For eggs, I always use my Bella Rapid Cooker as I can literally find nothing easier; however, the option is truly yours: boil the eggs in a pot, cook in an air fryer, or an oven, use an instant pot or really any way you have found that you love to achieve hard cooked eggs, get them to that state, get them cool enough to handle, peel and roughly chop them.
Celery-this is such a classic paring for buffalo sauce that I’m not really sure you could achieve the same effect without it. I like it roughly chopped, diced would work as well if you preferred smaller bites.
Carrots-I like to use chopped baby carrots simply because it saves the time of having to peel a standard carrot; however, if that is what you have, a regular carrot would work just fine. I would substitute about 1 regular sized carrot for the 4-5 baby carrots the recipe calls for.
Shallot-I like to use shallots instead of onions in recipes like this where there is no “cooking” involved as I feel the shallot gives a milder flavor which is more pleasing than a bite of raw onion.
Buffalo Sauce– I used Frank’s Red Hot, but feel free to use whatever your favorite buffalo sauce is.
Dried Buffalo Ranch Seasoning/Dressing Mix– I used Hidden Valley Farms. If you cannot find this, regular dried Ranch seasoning mix would be a great substitute.
Bleu Cheese Crumbles-Use as few or as many as you like to suit your tastes.
How to Make Buffalo Egg Salad
Just as easy as it gets! Roughly chop the eggs, celery and carrots. Gently stir together with the remaining ingredients. Refrigerate and serve!
Easy Ways to Boil Eggs for Buffalo Egg Salad
- Stovetop Method:
- Place the eggs in a single layer in a saucepan and add enough water to cover them by about an inch.
- Bring the water to a boil over high heat.
- Once the water is boiling, cover the saucepan with a lid and remove it from the heat.
- Let the eggs sit in the hot water for 10-12 minutes, depending on how well-done you want the yolks.
- After the desired time has passed, drain the hot water and immediately transfer the eggs to a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process and make them easier to peel.
- Instant Pot Method:
- Place a cup of water in the Instant Pot and place a steamer basket on top.
- Place the eggs in the steamer basket.
- Close the lid and set the Instant Pot to Manual mode for 5 minutes.
- After the cooking time is up, do a quick release of the pressure.
- Once the pressure is fully released, carefully remove the eggs and transfer them to a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process and make them easier to peel.
Easiest Way to Peel a hard boiled egg for Buffalo Egg Salad?
Trust me on this, I have been boiling eggs for years and this is going to sound a bit odd; however, this is beyond the easiest way!
Take the egg, once you are sure it is fully cooked, smash it lightly on the counter and roll to crack the entire shell. Then simply place the egg under some gently running water and smooth off the shell. So easy, no “picking”, etc.
Ways to Serve Buffalo Egg Salad
- As a “scoop” simply serve a dollop alongside (or as) your meal and enjoy
- Stuff it into a pita
- Use as a topping for other sandwich or burger ingredients
- Toast: Serve the buffalo egg salad on top of a slice of toasted bread or baguette for a simple and satisfying meal.
- Lettuce Wraps: Use lettuce leaves to create low-carb and gluten-free wraps. Place a scoop of buffalo egg salad in the center of each lettuce leaf, roll it up, and enjoy.
- Crackers: Serve the buffalo egg salad with a side of crackers for a quick and easy snack or appetizer.
- Vegetable Sticks: Serve the buffalo egg salad with a side of celery sticks, carrot sticks, or sliced bell peppers for a healthy and crunchy snack.
- Salad: Serve the buffalo egg salad over a bed of greens, such as arugula, spinach, or mixed greens, for a refreshing and nutritious salad.
- Sandwich: Spread the buffalo egg salad on a slice of bread or roll to make a delicious sandwich. Add some lettuce, tomato, and cheese to make it even more flavorful.
Can Buffalo Egg Salad be Made in Advance?
YES! And, ideally, it should. This egg salad tastes best when it has had a bit of time to marinate. Plan to make it at least one hour before serving, ideally the night before. The egg salad will keep well in the refrigerator for 3-4 days when kept in an air-tight container and chilled.
Love Some Spicy Heat? Here are Some Other Dishes you will LOVE:
This Spicy Spanish Omelette is Jalapeno Popper meets Spanish Tortilla. A little bit cool, a little bit quiche, a whole lot of jalapenos all in a savory breakfast treat that is perfect for make-ahead.
Take snack time to a whole ‘nother level with this Flaming Hot Cheetos Macaroni and Cheese Bake that doubles up on the spice and the crispy-crunchy topping.
Who doesn’t love the smell of fresh cooked bread? And with this Spicy Cheese Bread your home will not only smell like a bakery, but you will have a jalapeno and cheese filled loaf of delight just waiting to be enjoyed–it would even pair great with your Buffalo Egg Salad!
Make a restaurant favorite with this Copycat Red Robin Burnin’ Love Burger that has heat and spice on top of heat and spice but in a much more economical package than the restaurant variety.
Buffalo Egg Salad
- 7 eggs hard boiled
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- 4-5 baby carrots chopped
- 1 shallot diced
- ⅓ cup buffalo sauce (plus 1-2T)
- 1 Tablespoon dry buffalo ranch seasoning
- Blue cheese crumbles
- Roughly chop the eggs. Add to a bowl with the remaining ingredients and stir.
[…] you love the buffalo flavor of thee quinoa balls, be sure to check out our Buffalo Egg Salad for an easy, spicy twist on egg […]
[…] Buffalo Egg Salad– is a super easy, spicy twist on traditional egg salad […]
Buffalo Egg Salad