What is California Club Pizza CPK Copycat?
In this case the CPK is short for California Pizza Kitchen and this dish is our copycat version of their California Club Pizza. This pizza, based somewhat on a traditional CLUB sandwich, is a combination of warm, toast-y crust with cheese and a bright sauce and bright fresh veggies to make a nice, lightened up take on a traditional pizza. Just like the restaurant version, our California Club Pizza features mozzarella cheese, applewood smoked bacon, arugula, fresh tomatoes, avocados, fresh basil, romaine lettuce and a homemade lemon-pepper mayonnaise sauce. Unlike the restaurant, we are able to get ours on your table in under 10 minutes, made exactly to your tastes, and for a much lower price, so let’s get started!
What ingredients do you need to make our California Club Pizza CPK Copycat Recipe?
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this pizza:
- Premade pizza crusts
- Olive oil
- Mayonnaise, I used olive-oil blend mayo
- 1 whole lemon
- Lemon pepper seasoning, I used this one
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Romaine lettuce
- Crumbled applewood smoked bacon
- Fresh basil
Ingredient note: For our pizza, we chose to omit the grilled chicken strips that would appear on the restaurant version. I will give instructions later on how to include the chicken on your Club Pizza Copycat if you would prefer to include it.
How to make the California Pizza Kitchen Copycat Club Pizza:
Begin by spreading the olive oil on the pre-made pizza crusts. Next pre-bake the pizza crusts for approximately 5 minutes.
While, the crusts are cooking, make the lemon-pepper mayonnaise spread which will serve as the sauce for the Club Pizza. To do so, zest and juice an entire lemon. Combine the contents with the mayonnaise and the lemon pepper seasoning.
After the crusts are done with their initial baking time remove the crusts from the oven. Divide the lemon-pepper spread among to two crusts, reserving some for the topping. Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese on top of the crusts. Now return the crusts to the oven for an additional 5 minutes to allow the mozzarella to melt.
Next spread out the tomato and avocado slices in an even layer over the pizzas. *Note, if you were adding grilled chicken strips, this is the step to do so. Simply layer them along with the tomatoes and avocados.
Add the romaine and arugula over the top. Use the amount you would like from a little to a salad’s worth.
Next sprinkle the basil and bacon over the top. Finally, drizzle with some of the remaining sauce.
What crust options can I use for this CPK Copycat California Club Pizza Recipe?
For the recipe, I used pre-made thin pizza crusts which take around 10 minutes to cook. However, there are some other options. You could also use: a thicker prepared crust or pizza dough to make the pizza.
To substitute a different crust, bake the crust for 5 minutes less than the cooking time listed. For example, if your crust of choice said to cook for 15 minutes, cook the crust, topped with olive oil for 10 minutes at the initial step.
Can California Club Pizza CPK be made in advance?
This pizza is really one that is best served fresh. The reason being, part of its charm is the combination of the warm, crispy crust and melty cheese combined with the fresh salad-like toppings on top. The issue with pre-making is recreating both of these. If you reheat the pizza, the fresh toppings can get soggy. You CAN refrigerate and serve the leftovers chilled–which I honestly like–however, it does lose the warmth of the original.
So what then? Instead of trying to make the pizza in advance, your best bet would be to prep the entire dish well. Slice all the veggies, make the lemon-pepper spread and get everything else measured. Then, when you are ready to make the pizza it is a mere 10 minutes from start to finish.
California Club Pizza CPK Copycat
- 2 premade pizza crusts
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 lemon juiced and zested
- 1 Tablespoon lemon pepper seasoning
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 avocados pitted, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 roma tomatoes thinly sliced
- 2 cups romaine lettuce thinly sliced
- 2 cups arugula
- 6 slices of bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1 small bunch basil thinly sliced
- *optional add grilled chicken strips
- Spread a teaspoon of the olive oil on each of the prepared crusts. Bake at 450 for 5 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, combine the mayonnaise, lemon juice and zest and lemon pepper seasoning. When the crusts are done, spread the lemon pepper spread on each of the crusts, you will have some remaining. Sprinkle the crusts with the mozzarella. Return to the oven for approximately 5 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Spread out the tomato and avocado slices in even layers. Top with the shredded romaine and arugula. Scatter the bacon and basil over the top of the pizzas. Drizzle with leftover sauce and serve immediately.