This Cheetos Cheeseball blends the classic snack with an incredibly flavorful, easy to make cheeseball that is perfect for parties. Kids and adults will both love this tasty treat. I will give you plenty of serving suggestions and some twists to make it exactly to your tastes. Get ready to meet your new favorite party food!
What are the ingredients in this Cheetos Cheeseball?
- Neufchatel Cheese– this block format cheese has all the flavor of cream cheese but in a slightly lighter formal which is why I prefer it to traditional cream cheese for this cheese ball. If you only have regular cream cheese available, it will work fine as a substitute in this dish.
- Rotel– canned diced tomatoes and green chiles. I used the regular variety to make this dish. If you would like less heat, the mild version would work just fine. I would probably avoid using the ‘hot’ variety as it might mask the other flavorings in the cheese ball.
- Cheddar Cheese– use the finely shredded variety for ease of spreading on crackers, etc. Pre-shredded cheese works best as it is a bit drier than freshly shredded cheese.
- Seasoned Salt – I used this one from Lawry’s.
- Ranch Seasoning
- Yellow Mustard– traditional yellow mustard, not Dijon or deli brown is what you want to use here.
- Garlic Powder
- Cheetos– This cheeseball calls for regular cheetos, the original version, not the puffs. The outside of the cheeseball is coated with crushed cheetos. Additionally, you can add extra crushed cheetos to the filling of the cheeseball to boost the cheeto flavor in this cheetos cheeseball.
How to make Cheetos Cheeseball
- Begin by softening the neufchatel cheese. This can be done either by leaving the block of cheese on the countertop for 30-60 minutes (depending on the temperature) or by microwaving it. To use the microwave, place the cheese in a microwave safe bowl and heat in 20 second intervals. You want the neufchatel to be easily pliable, but not runny or fully melted.
- Next, drain the rotel thoroughly. To the bowl containing the softened neufchatel, add the drained rotel, the shredded cheddar cheese, the yellow mustard, the seasoned salt, the ranch seasoning and the garlic powder. If you are adding cheetos to the inside of the cheeseball, you will also add them to the bowl at this time, see below for tips on how to crush them.
- Thoroughly combine all of the ingredients in the bowl. Place the bowl in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, ideally up to an hour. This will allow the mixture to firm up a bit before attempting to form.
- While the mixture is cooling, crush the cheetos. Do this by placing them in a plastic bag and lightly hit or roll over them with a rolling pin. You could also add them to the bowl of a food processor and gently pulse to crush. Place the crushed cheetos on a plate or chopping board.
- When the cheeseball mixture is done chilling, use your hands to form a ball. Roll the ball in the cheetos, gently pressing the sides, as needed, to get the crumbs to adhere evenly.
- Note, if your cheetos cheeseball is not as round as you would like, you can place it on a sheet of saran wrap, once coated, wrap it up while forming your desired shape and then place it in the fridge to firm a bit more.
Can Cheetos Cheeseball be made in advance?
Yes, this Cheetos cheeseball can absolutely be made in advance. Once fully prepared, the cheeseball can be stored in the refrigerator for several days. or
How to serve Cheetos Cheeseball?
- Fritos or Fritos Scoops– These are my favorite way to serve this cheeseball. The Scoop variety make serving the dip especially easy. I also like how you can make a pretty flower effect which is so cute for spring or summertime parties.
- Crackers– Ritz, saltines, town house, whatever your favorite is always a classic way to serve cheeseballs.
- Veggies– carrot sticks, celery, sliced cucumbers or bell pepper strips would all be good options for this Cheetos cheeseball.
- Pretzels– for serving with cheeseball, I like these square pretzels, but any favorite will do.
- Cheetos– A bit less traditional of a way to serve cheeseball, yet my son claims this is the absolute best thing to dip in these.
- Make it cute: If the flower look isn’t for you, you could consider some other options.
- You could try putting some of your favorite serving partners alongside the Cheetos Cheeseball on a platter.
- You could pre-slice or portion the cheeseball and accompany each serving with your favorite dippers.
- If a little more work is no biggie, individual cheeseballs would also be super cute. No, I’m not suggesting setting a serving size of 1 for the cheeseball, but rather slightly tweaking the preparation. To do so, prepare the Cheetos cheeseball through stirring together the mixture and refrigerating. Then, instead of forming into one large ball, use a 1-2 Tablespoon sized scoop to portion the mixture, roll into balls and then roll in the Cheeto mixture. Do note, that prepared this way, you may need additional crushed Cheetos to evenly cover all the balls.
Check out this Flaming Hot Cheeto Mac and Cheese Bake!
- 8 oz neufchatel cheese softened
- 1 can rotel drained
- 2 cups finely shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 Tablespoon seasoned salt
- 1 Tablespoon Ranch seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon yellow mustard
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups chetos crushed
- Optional 1-2 additional cups crushed cheetos
- Combine the neufchatel, rotel, cheddar, seasoned salt, ranch seasoning, yellow mustard, garlic powder in a bowl and mix well to combine. If you are adding the additional cheetos to the filling, stir them in at this time as well. Place the bowl in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to an hour to allow the mixture to firm up a bit.
- While the mixture is setting, place the 2 cups of crushed cheetos on a plate or chopping board. Remove the bowl from the refrigerator. Use your hands and form the mixture into a ball. Roll the ball in the cheetos pressing the mixture onto the sides.
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve