How to Make Tuscan Kale Pasta
This dish is amazing in flavor, keeps well and is SO simple. It is just a total winner. Begin by gathering your ingredients.
For this dish you will need:
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 whole lemon
- Pasta, I used Cellentani
- salt & pepper
- fresh rosemary
Next add your tomatoes to a sheet pan. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper to prepare to roast.
Add all the pesto ingredients to the bowl of your food processor. Blend, adding olive oil until a pesto consistency is achieved.
Blend until smooth and creamy adding a bit more oil if it seems too thick. Cook the pasta according to package directions, reserving approximately 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water. This post may contain affiliate links to learn more read our disclaimer.
While the pasta is cooking chop the kale and place it in the colander. When the pasta is done, pour into the colander over the kale to allow it to lightly steam. Allow to sit for a minute or two. Transfer the pasta, kale and the roasted tomatoes to a large bowl. Add any optional toppings and gently toss. If the pasta seems too dry add some of the reserved cooking water a spoonful at a time. Adjust salt and pepper and serve. This can be served immediately although I prefer it chilled.
This can be served immediately although I prefer it chilled. This dish keeps really well and will be fine for several days in the fridge.
Can Tuscan Kale Pasta be made Vegetarian or Vegan?
- This dish is Vegetarian as written, so Vegetarians are good to go with no swaps.
- Vegans, it is just the parmesan cheese that would need to go. This would be an optional swap for the parmesan, otherwise the recipe should work fine.
What are some ways to customize Tuscan Kale Pasta?
- The tomatoes:
- If you liked you could add some diced fresh tomatoes either in addition to the roasted tomatoes or as an alternative.
- You could also add some sundried tomatoes
- The kale
- I really like the kale in this dish but Spinach or Mustard Greens would also be a good alternative.
- The Pesto
- Skip the pasta and serve the pesto atop some toasted crostini for a light appetizer. Or make it a meal by adding a bowl of soup.
- Use the pesto as a sauce on a roasted sandwich. For example Hoagie bun, spread with the pesto, top with roasted tomatoes and greens. Sprinkle with cheese and toast.
What to serve with Tuscan Kale Pasta?
- Try some Lemon Roasted Veggies for a super-light, healthy meal.
- Add some Instant Pot Ranch Potatoes and Carrots for an almost-instant side dish that pairs well with this spring-time ready pasta.
- Make a tray of Copycat Little Caesars Cheesy Bread to keep the cheese going all night.
- Cheesy Potato Bites would be a warm crispy addition to this cool pasta sauce.
- Make some Easy Minestrone Soup for a traditional combo.
Tuscan Kale Pasta
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup pistachios chopped
- 2 cups kale hard stems removed, packed
- 2 Tbsp fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 lemon juiced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/3-1/2 cup olive oil
- 8 oz cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups kale roughly chopped
- 1/4-1/2 cup pistachios roughly chopped
- freshly grated parmesan cheese to taste
- 8 oz pasta (I used Cellentani)
- Heat your oven to 350. Put the cherry tomatoes on a pan. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast 10-15 minutes until beginning to burst. Set aside.
- Remove the tough stems from the kale. Reserve half for the pesto, the remainder, put in a colander.
- In a blender or food processor add the garlic powder, the pistachios, 2 cups of the rinsed kale, the rosemary, the lemon zest & juice and salt and pepper. Blend a bit. Slowly stream in between 1/3-1/2 cup of olive oil until the mixture is pesto-textured.
- Drain the pasta atop the kale (already in the colander) to allow it to wilt a bit. Remove both to a large bowl. Stir through the pesto, the tomatoes, the reserved pistachios and the parmesan.
- Serve immediately or chill for later use.