How to Make Creamy Tuscan Kale Pasta
This pasta is amazing in flavor, keeps well and is SO simple. It is just a total winner. Begin by gathering your ingredients.
Ingredients for Creamy Tuscan Kale Pasta Salad:
- Cherry Tomatoes-I used multi-colored heirloom cherry tomatoes, but regular will also work. The smaller tomatoes work well in this pasta as they are roasted and semi-burst giving an amazing pop of flavor to the final pasta.
- Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 whole lemon
- Pasta, I used Cellentani
- salt & pepper
- fresh rosemary
Next add your tomatoes to a sheet pan. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper to prepare to roast.
Add all the pesto ingredients to the bowl of your food processor. Blend, adding olive oil until a pesto consistency is achieved.
Blend until smooth and creamy adding a bit more oil if it seems too thick. Cook the pasta according to package directions, reserving approximately 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water.
While the pasta is cooking chop the kale and place it in the colander. When the pasta is done, pour into the colander over the kale to allow it to lightly steam. Allow to sit for a minute or two. Transfer the pasta, kale and the roasted tomatoes to a large bowl. Add any optional toppings and gently toss. If the pasta seems too dry add some of the reserved cooking water a spoonful at a time. Adjust salt and pepper and serve. This can be served immediately although I prefer it chilled.
This can be served immediately although I prefer it chilled. This dish keeps really well and will be fine for several days in the fridge.
Can Tuscan Kale Pasta be made Vegan?
- Vegans, it is just the parmesan cheese that would need to be substituted. This would be an optional swap for the parmesan and then you could easily have Creamy Vegan Tuscan Pasta.
What are some ways to customize Tuscan Kale Pasta?
- The tomatoes:
- If you liked you could add some diced fresh tomatoes either in addition to the roasted tomatoes or as an alternative.
- You could also add some sundried tomatoes
- The kale
- I really like the kale in this dish but Spinach or Mustard Greens would also be a good alternative.
- The Pesto
- Skip the pasta and serve the pesto atop some toasted crostini for a light appetizer. Or make it a meal by adding a bowl of soup.
- Use the pesto as a sauce on a roasted sandwich. For example Hoagie bun, spread with the pesto, top with roasted tomatoes and greens. Sprinkle with cheese and toast.
How to store leftover Tuscan Kale Pasta?
Store any leftover pasta in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
What to serve with Tuscan Kale Pasta?
- Garlic bread: Toasted garlic bread is a classic side dish for pasta, and it pairs especially well with Tuscan kale pasta. Make a tray of Copycat Little Caesars Cheesy Bread to keep the cheese going all night.
- Salad: A fresh green salad with a tangy vinaigrette can provide a nice contrast to the rich and savory flavors of the pasta.
- Roasted vegetables: Roasted vegetables, such as carrots, zucchini, and eggplant, can complement the earthy flavors of the Tuscan kale and add some extra nutrients to your meal. Try some Lemon Roasted Vegetables for a super-light, healthy meal. Oa Add some Instant Pot Ranch Potatoes and Carrots for an almost-instant side dish that pairs well with this spring-time ready pasta.
- Grilled chicken or shrimp: For a protein-packed meal, consider grilling up some chicken or shrimp to serve alongside the pasta.
- Try a soup for a warm pairing for dinner. Make some Easy Minestrone Soup for a traditional combo. Or try our easy Instant Pot version of Zuppa Toscana.
Tuscan Kale Pasta
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup pistachios chopped
- 2 cups kale hard stems removed, packed
- 2 Tbsp fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 lemon juiced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/3-1/2 cup olive oil
- 8 oz cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups kale roughly chopped
- 1/4-1/2 cup pistachios roughly chopped
- freshly grated parmesan cheese to taste
- 8 oz pasta (I used Cellentani)
- Heat your oven to 350. Put the cherry tomatoes on a pan. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast 10-15 minutes until beginning to burst. Set aside.
- Remove the tough stems from the kale. Reserve half for the pesto, the remainder, put in a colander.
- In a blender or food processor add the garlic powder, the pistachios, 2 cups of the rinsed kale, the rosemary, the lemon zest & juice and salt and pepper. Blend a bit. Slowly stream in between 1/3-1/2 cup of olive oil until the mixture is pesto-textured.
- Drain the pasta atop the kale (already in the colander) to allow it to wilt a bit. Remove both to a large bowl. Stir through the pesto, the tomatoes, the reserved pistachios and the parmesan.
- Serve immediately or chill for later use.
[…] Creamy Kale Pasta is a light, easy to make, very fresh tasting pasta dish for which a little dessert after words would not feel too heavy. […]
We enjoyed this.