This post may contain affiliates, learn more from our disclaimer.
What are Deviled Crab Cakes
Deviled Crab Cakes (aka Deviled Crab Croquettes) bring the flavors of deviled eggs, most notably the Dijon, paprika, mayo and old bay seasoning, into fresh, crisp crab cakes. It is the same flavors from your favorite deviled crab recipe in crab cake form.
How to make Deviled Crab Cakes
This dish is very easy to put together but does have a few key points that could throw things off. So I’ll review the important steps:
- Begin by pre-heating the oven and lining a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine all the ingredients EXCEPT for the crab and breadcrumbs. This is important to not overly break-up the crab or overly moisten the breadcrumbs.
- Gently fold in the crab, this is done to ensure the lump crab pieces stay in tack as best as possible (no need to over-mix and make it like shredded crab, that will harm the end result).
- Lightly fold in the breadcrumbs just until combined. This will avoid (again) disrupting the crab, but also over-dampening the breadcrumbs.
- Place the whole bowl in the fridge for a bit to set a little.
- Scoop up in 1/4 cups and form into balls, lightly flattening into a cake. (if the mixture seems too moist you can squeeze out a bit of the moisture over a sink before putting on the tray).
- Place all the scoops on the tray. Distancing isn’t really an issue as they will not spread in cooking.
- Bake, after spraying with olive oil, until lightly crisped.
- Allow to set for 5-10 minutes before moving. This step may not be entirely necessary, but it is helpful to ensure the cakes don’t break in the moving process. ENJOY!
How to Serve Deviled Crab Cakes
- On their own with some fresh lemon wedges for drizzling
- Make it a sandwich with a hoagie roll, lettuce, tomato, and some fresh aioli
- Serve them atop a salad to either serve as your protein, or as a shining light atop a seafood salad
- Make a modern take on the “fancy” Bloody Mary by topping your drink with a Deviled Crab Cake, some bacon (all the better if it is candied), perhaps some fresh lemon wedges, some Grilled Shrimp or some green olives.
- Serve them warm along side my favorite crab-cake sauce. Combine all and chill to allow flavors to blend.
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeded, and finely diced
- 1/4 cup light sour cream
- 2T light mayonnaise
- 2t fresh lemon juice
- 1/4t dried parsley
- 1t hot sauce (I used Texas Pete)
- 1t hot old bay seasoning
- 2t Dijon mustard
What to serve with Deviled Crab Cakes?
- Roasted Vegetables. Try these Lemon Roasted Vegetables for a fresh, Spring or Summer time meal (or to brighten up a cold spell)
- Potatoes: Baked, Roasted, Broiled, Twice-baked. Any incarnation you favor would work great with these crab cakes.
- Corn Salad: Add in some peppers and seasonings
- Big fresh salad heavy on the tomatoes & topped with your favorite dressing
- Gazpacho Soup
- Grilled Asparagus
- Corn Chowder
- Fresh rolls with honey butter
Deviled Crab Cakes
- 1/4 cup parsley finely chopped
- 1/4 cup shallots finely chopped
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp light mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 tsp hot old bay seasoning
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp hot sauce
- 1 lb lump crab meat rinsed & drained
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- Heat oven to 400.
- Combine parsley, shallot, eggs, mayonnaise, dijon mustard, old bay and hot sauce in a large bowl and mix well.
- Gently fold in the crab meat.
- Gently add the panko and mix to combine.
- Put the mixture in the fridge and let stand 5-10 minutes.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Scoop the crab mixture into 12 even portions (1/4 cup each), flattening slightly. Spray the tops lightly with olive oil spray.
- Bake 15 minutes or until beginning to brown. Remove from oven and let stand 5-10 minutes before removing to a plate. Serve fresh with lemon juice or your favorite crab cake sauce.