How to make Vegan Protein Bowls with Edamame
These Edamame Protein Bowls are an easy family friendly recipe that comes together in under 30 minutes. It is a vegetarian dish that is still loaded with protein. I make this dish often for meal prep lunches which work great in a mason jar or flat container.
Begin by cooking the couscous and cilantro. When it is done soaking, use a fork to gently scrape across the surface and “fluff” up the couscous. Then set aside until the edamame-tomato mixture is ready.
This post may contain affiliate links to learn more read our disclaimer.
The next step in the Edamame Protein Bowls is to begin the veggie mixture. Start with sautéing the onions, then add the zucchini. Stir in all the spices for a moment. Next add the tomatoes and bring to a boil.
Finally, stir in the remaining cilantro, the edamame and the lemon juice. Serve atop or beside the couscous.
Edamame Protein Bowls
If you would like more spice, add a bit of hot sauce at the same time as the spices.
- 3c edamame, thawed
- 1T olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 large zucchini, peeled & diced
- 1/2t garlic powder
- 2t ground cumin
- 1t ground coriander
- 1/8-1/4t cayenne pepper, to taste
- salt & pepper
- 1-28 can petite diced tomatoes
- 1/2c cilantro, divided
- 3T lemon juice
- 1 6oz box couscous
- Prepare couscous according to directions, adding 1/4c cilantro. When done soaking, fluff with a fork.
- Cook the edamame as directed.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium. Add the onion and cook until beginning to soften. Add the zucchini and cook until the onion is beginning to brown. Add the garlic powder, cumin and coriander and cook, stirring for 30 seconds.
- Season with salt & pepper.
- Stir in the tomatoes. Bring to a boil and then simmer until slightly reduced, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in edamame, lemon juice and remaining cilantro. Cook until warmed through. Serve with the couscous.