This gluten free French onion dip is so easy to make and tastes world’s better than the store-bought varieties. You will be making this snack all Summer long!
Ingredients in Gluten Free French Onion Dip
Butter– I use olive oil based or plant based butter, just use whatever is your favorite.
Onion- Yellow or sweet onions will work best for this recipe
Red Bell Pepper– you can use a regular red pepper or use mini peppers, either will work fine for this recipe.
Garlic Powder-I prefer garlic powder to fresh garlic in this recipe as I feel it blends better and avoid any over-cooked garlic flavor.
Mayonnaise-again, this can be regular mayo, olive oil blend, or whatever variety is your favorite.
Worcestershire sauce– Lea & Perrins is gluten free as are many other major brands, just be sure to check it you are using a different variety.
Salt-kosher or sea salt will both work just fine
Neufchatel– this is lighter than cream cheese and I find it to have a better flavor.
Sour cream– light or regular will work fine, just use your favorite
Gluten Free French Onion Dip
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 Tbsp red bell pepper chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 8 oz neufchatel cheese softened
- 1 cup light sour cream
- Heat the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until browning, around 10 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper and garlic powder and continue to cook until softened, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- In a food processor, combine the mayonnaise, Worcestershire, salt, softened neufchatel cheese, sour cream and the onion mixture.
- Pulse until smooth, scraping down the sides several times as needed.
- Put the mixture in an airtight container and refrigerate at least an hour, preferably overnight.