What is Greek Tofu?
Greek tofu is a flavorful protein-packed, vegetarian-friendly dish that is perfect for breakfast, or a light lunch or dinner. The tofu in this dish is crumbled and seasoned to give it a texture more reminiscent of scrambled eggs than cubed tofu. The dish is great on its own, or stuff a scoop into a whole-grain pita or wrap. It is seasoned with all the flavors of your favorite Greek salad
What are the ingredients in Greek Tofu?
This tofu scramble comes together in just minutes and has a lot of ingredients that you likely already have on hand. Here is what you will need to make this Greek Tofu recipe:
- Firm tofu
- Firm or extra-firm will be fine, you just don’t want soft tofu
- Grated parmesan cheese
- The type that comes in a green can, not the freshly shredded type
- Soy sauce
- Regular or Low Sodium will both work fine
- Lemon juice
- Garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- Oil to cook in
- I used olive oil
- Red onion
- Red bell pepper
- Kalamata olives
- Roma tomatoes
- Pepperoncini peppers
- Fresh spinach
- Dried dill weed
- Feta cheese
How do I make Greek Tofu?
This tofu scramble is really easy to make, here are the easy steps you will need to prepare your Greek Tofu:
- Begin by preparing the tofu. Remove from the packaging, drain the water and quickly rinse. Place the block of tofu on a paper towel-lined plate. Place a heavy item on top (plate, skillet, bowl, etc) this will help to press out any excess moisture and prepare your tofu.
- Once the tofu has dried for several minutes, move it to a medium bowl. Using a fork, or your fingers, crumble the tofu into bits to give it more the texture of scrambled eggs. *If you preferred, you could chop the tofu and use small cubes instead of crumbles.
- Combine the prepared tofu with the grated parmesan cheese, the soy sauce, the tahini paste, the lemon juice, the garlic powder and the salt. Set the tofu aside while you begin cooking the scramble.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and add the red onion. Cook for approximately 5 minutes until beginning to soften.
- Add the red bell pepper, tomatoes and kalamata olives and continue to saute for a few minutes.
- Add the pepperoncini, and tofu and cook until warmed through.
- Add the spinach to the pan. Give everything a stir and add the lid for 3-4 minutes or until the spinach wilts.
- Finally, stir through the dill weed and feta cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve.
Can Greek Tofu be made in advance?
Yes, this tofu scramble can be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Reheat in the microwave (or enjoy cold, if that is your preference).
Ideas for Serving Greek Tofu
- On its own-this Greek Tofu works amazingly well served on its own as a scramble. It can be served either warm or cold.
- Atop Greens-serve the Greek Tofu on top of a bed of arugula or spinach to give it more of a salad fee.
- Pita Bread-use the Greek Tofu as a filling for a pita bread sandwich.
- Wrapped-in a tortilla or flatbread.
- Bell Peppers or Tomatoes-use in the hollowed out centers of bell peppers or tomatoes for a pretty salad serving style.
What are some other dishes that go well with Greek Tofu?
- This Instant Pot Minestrone would be perfect for creating a soup and sandwich meal that brings the tofu scramble to a brunch or lunch time dish.
- Baked Falafel patties with Creamy Tahini Sauce keep the Mediterranean feel of the tofu scramble going with another easy to prepare healthy dish.
- These Lemon Roasted Vegetables have a wonderfully fresh flavor and are easy to prepare in advance. They would make a great light meal paired with the Greek Tofu.
- Preparing the tofu as part of a brunch spread or buffet? Consider also including some Jalapeno Pimento Cheese. It is great served on crackers, toast points or with some fresh veggies to dip.
- Air Fryer Focaccia would be amazing with this scramble. It would make a great fresh side dish which can easily be customized with your favorite toppings.
- 8 oz firm tofu
- 2 Tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons tahini paste
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- ½ small red onion finely chopped
- ¼ cup Kalamata olives finely chopped
- 2 Roma tomatoes chopped
- 3 pepperoncini peppers finely chopped
- 2 large handfuls chopped spinach
- 1 Tablespoon dried dill weed
- ½ cup feta cheese
- Place the tofu on a paper-towel-lined plate and place a heavy plate or bowel on top to remove any excess liquid. Allow to sit for a few minutes while you prepare the remaining ingredients. After the liquid has been removed, break up the tofu using a fork to crumble it into small bits.
- Combine the crumbled tofu with the grated parmesan cheese, the soy sauce, the tahini paste, the lemon juice, the garlic powder and the salt. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for several minutes. Add the tomatoes, olives and bell pepper and continue to cook, stirring for an additional 3-4 minutes. Add the pepperoncini and tofu and cook until warmed through.
- Add the spinach and cover the pot with a lid. Allow to wilt slightly. Remove from the heat and stir in the dill weed and the feta cheese. Taste for salt and pepper and serve immediately.