Perfect for Summer, you will love this Instant Pot Fajita Pasta. Full of fresh produce and perfect for using up the leftover bounty from your garden. Mushrooms, peppers and onions are combined with noodles, a creamy sauce and lots of your favorite Cajun flavors to make this irresistible pasta dish. The Instant Pot makes it beyond easy to prepare without heating up your kitchen or taking you away from your day for all that long.
How to make Instant Pot Fajita Pasta?
Begin by gathering all of your ingredients:
To make the instant pot fajita pasta you will need:
Linguine– I like to use linguine for this pasta so the larger veggies don’t make it feel like a primavera as a thinner noodle like spaghetti might. You can really substitute any noodle you like just not that it may effect your pressure cooking time. Stick to the general rule of: half the lower end of the time stated on the pasta package + 2 minutes and you should be just fine. Elbows away!! (sorry, I’m not funny).
Cajun seasoning, I used this one, any Cajun or fajita seasoning you happen to like will work just fine here.
Garlic powder– as you will find in many of my recipes, this one being no exception, I generally prefer to use garlic powder over fresh garlic as I prefer the milder flavor and the ease of spreading the seasoning throughout the dish, while I feel minced garlic can become a bit clumpy in some dishes.
Bell Peppers You will need two. I used yellow & red, but any combination would work (orange, purple, green, etc)
Fresh mushrooms– I used baby Bella, button or chopped Portobello would also work well if you need to substitute.
Red onion-yellow would work fine if you prefer.
Tomatoes– You will need two fairly decent sized tomatoes for this Instant Pot Fajita Pasta. You can sub in 4 roma-style tomatoes if your store is being dodgey on the full sized.
Skim milk-This is what I used, you can substitute 2% or whatever you prefer.
Flour– regular, all-purpose flour
Laughing Cow wedges– I use these a lot. I like that they are lighter than cream cheese and also give a pop of flavor to dishes.
Fresh Cracked Pepper
How to make Instant Pot Fajita Pasta:
- Begin by preparing the veggies. Slice the bell peppers and mushrooms. Quarter and slice the mushrooms. Dice the tomatoes and scallions.
- Heat the olive oil in the Instant Pot on sauté mode. Add the onion, bell peppers and garlic powder and cook, stirring occasionally for several minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and cook.
- When the cooking is done, allow a natural pressure release of 5 minutes, then quick release any remaining pressure.
- Allow to sit until the sauce reaches the desired thickness.
What to serve with Instant Pot Fajita Pasta
This dish would work fine on its own as a light meal. If you are wanting some ideas for sides, here are a few:
- Corn: on the cob, off the cob, with butter or corn fiesta salad will all be great pairings for this pasta.
- A large salad full of greens, tomatoes, corn, beans, bell peppers, avocados, jalapenos and more would be perfect.
- Guacamole Salad: guacamole, tomatoes, corn tortilla strips and some shredded lettuce like in a Mexican restaurant.
- Marinated Tomatoes: season them with taco flavorings, fajitas seasonings or just some simple salt and pepper.
- Fried okra: this classic crunchy side would be a great paring for this pasta salad.
- Cornbread: Cajun flavors and cornbread go hand in hand, so why not serve some cornbread along with your fajita pasta.
- Corn Salad
- Fresh pinto beans
- Refried Beans
- Grilled shrimp or chicken
- Hush Puppies: A bit less traditional with a pasta dish, but certainly works with the Cajun flavorings. These delicious fried bites are perfect if you are pairing the pasta with a protein.
Instant Pot Fajita Pasta
- 8 oz linguine broken in half
- 1-2 tsp Cajun Seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper thinly sliced
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 red onion sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes diced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 3 wedges Pepper-jack Laughing Cow Cheese
- 2 scallions chopped
- fresh cracked pepper to taste
- kosher salt to taste
- Begin by prepping the vegetables: Thinly slice the red and yellow bell peppers. Take a damp cloth and gently wipe off the mushrooms, and then thinly slice. Peel & thinly slice the red onion. Dice the tomatoes. Chop the scallions.
- Add the olive oil the the pressure cooker and set to sauté. Add the onions, bell peppers and garlic powder and sauté for 3-4 minutes until beginning to soften.
- Turn off sauté mode.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the pressure cooker and set to manual high pressure for 5 minutes.
- When cooking is done, allow a natural release of pressure for 5 minutes, then quick release any remaining pressure.
- The sauce will thicken as it sits (more so if you leave the lid on). Serve warm.