What is Instant Pot Hot and Sour Soup?
This is an incredibly easy homemade version of the restaurant or take-out favorite. It tastes just like the restaurant version but without the need to even leave your house. Leftovers store well for several days when stored in an airtight container making for a perfect lunch the next day. Later in the post I will suggest some easy dishes to pair with the soup to make it a meal or just enjoy a light cup of soup for a cozy night in.
What are the ingredients in Instant Pot Hot and Sour Soup?
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this soup and any substitutes that may be fitting:
- Vegetable broth
- you can substitute chicken broth if you are not concerned about staying vegetarian.
- Baby bella mushrooms
- You can substitute button mushrooms if you cannot find baby bella
- Canned, sliced bamboo shoots
- Firm or extra firm tofu
- Garlic powder
- Grated ginger
- Balsamic vinegar
- Seasoned rice vinegar
- Soy sauce
- Brown sugar
- Toasted sesame oil
- Green onions
What are the steps to make Instant Pot Hot and Sour Soup?
Begin by adding the vegetable broth, mushrooms, bamboo shoots, tofu, garlic powder, grated ginger, balsamic vinegar, seasoned rice vinegar, sriracha, soy sauce and brown sugar to the bowl of the pressure cooker. Stir well to combine.
Set the cook for five minutes at high pressure and then quickly release any remaining pressure.
Beat the eggs well. Quickly swirl through the soup to disperse and blend, working quickly to avoid large pieces forming. Stir in the toasted sesame seed oil, the pepper and green onions. Serve immediately or store for later use.
What to serve with Instant Pot Hot and Sour Soup?
- Instant Pot Spicy Peanut Noodles combine another take-out favorite for a perfect meal at home. This is truly a drop and go recipe that can be made as spicy, or not, as you prefer
- If you are looking for something less spicy, but still an easy noodle take-out style dish, try this Instant Pot Pad Thai
- Instant Pot Hibachi Vegetables taste just like they came straight from your favorite Japanese Steakhouse, but at a fraction of the cost and almost no time at all. They combo makes for a nice light meal.
- Vegan Buddha Bowls are another fresh veggie-based dish that would go very with the the Hot and Sour Soup.
- Other simple ideas to help make your soup a meal:
- Consider serving some wonton strips along with the soup to provide a bit of crunch
- Orange slices on the side would be a nice fresh, sweet side
- Egg rolls, wontons, or spring rolls with some fresh dipping sauce would be great
- Steamed vegetables with any light sauce would be nice
Instant Pot Hot & Sour Soup
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 oz baby bella mushrooms thinly sliced
- 1, 8 oz can bamboo shoots drained
- 8 oz firm tofu drained and cubed
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon sriracha
- 3 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 green onions sliced (optional)
- Add first 11 ingredients (through the brown sugar) to the bowl of the Instant Pot. Stir well.
- Set the pot to sealing. Set the Instant Pot to high pressure for 5 minutes. When the cooking is done quick release any remaining pressure.
- Stir through the eggs, quickly swirling to disburse. Stir in the toasted sesame oil, pepper and green onions, if using. Serve.