What is Instant Pot Macaroni Salad?
Instant Pot Macaroni Salad is a fast and easy take on traditional macaroni salad. This dish allows you to cook the macaroni and boil the eggs all at once in the same pot. Our version also lightens up the traditional dish. I swapped olive oil mayonnaise for traditional to drastically cut the fat and also halved the total amount of mayonnaise by swapping in some greek yogurt choosing instead to focus on seasonings for flavorings. This easy macaroni salad is going to quickly be a favorite.
What are the ingredients in Instant Pot Macaroni Salad?
Here is what you will need to make Instant Pot Macaroni Salad:
- Elbow macaroni- if you prefer you can substitute another noodle with the same cooking time.
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Yellow Mustard
- Greek Yogurt- I used this to make the dish a bit lighter, if you prefer you could use sour cream instead
- Olive Oil Mayonnaise-this is the only type of mayonnaise that I use, if you would prefer to substitute regular mayonnaise, that would also work fine for this Instant Pot Pasta
- Lemon Juice- this can be either freshly squeezed or pre-stored
- Red Onion
How do I make Instant Pot Macaroni Salad?
Begin by cooking the pasta and the eggs. Add the noodles to the base of the Instant Pot. Add the trivet and then place the eggs atop the trivet. Add the water and the salt. Set the Instant Pot to manual high pressure for 5 minutes.
While the eggs and pasta are cooking, combine the apple cider vinegar, yellow mustard, greek yogurt, olive oil mayonnaise, paprika, lemon juice and pepper in a large bowl. Stir well to combine.
When the Instant Pot is done, quick release any remaining pressure. Remove the eggs using tongs and set aside. Drain the pasta in a colander. Peel and chop the eggs.
Combine the macaroni with the sauce ingredients. Fold in the eggs, red onion and celery. Check for salt and pepper. Refrigerate for two hours or more and serve.
Can I cook eggs in the Instant Pot without a trivet?
No worries. You can easily just place the eggs and noodles in the Instant Pot at the same time without the trivet. The trivet makes it easier, I feel, to remove the eggs first, but it serves no other purpose in this recipe. Elevation above the water, etc, does not matter at all, so you will not need to make any changes to your cooking time, water, or anything else to make this pasta without a trivet.
How to enhance Instant Pot Pasta Salad
- Add fresh vegetables: Mix in some fresh vegetables such as diced bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, shredded carrots, chopped celery, or sliced scallions to add crunch and a pop of color.
- Add protein: Add protein like diced ham, grilled chicken, or bacon to make the salad more filling and satisfying.
- Add herbs and spices: Add some fresh herbs like parsley, basil, or dill to give the salad a fresh and herbaceous flavor. You can also sprinkle in some spices like paprika, garlic powder, or onion powder to enhance the flavor.
- Add some sweetness: Mix in some dried cranberries, raisins, or diced apples to give the salad a sweet flavor and a bit of texture.
- Adjust the dressing: If the store-bought macaroni salad has too much or too little dressing, adjust it by adding a little more mayonnaise or sour cream, or some lemon juice or vinegar to balance the flavors.
- Add a crunch: Add some toasted nuts, such as slivered almonds or chopped pecans, or some crumbled potato chips or crispy bacon bits to add a crunchy texture.
- Mix in some cheese: Add some crumbled feta, shredded cheddar or parmesan cheese to give the salad some richness and depth of flavor.
What to serve with Instant Pot Macaroni Salad
- Barbecue: Macaroni salad is a classic side dish for any barbecue. It pairs well with grilled chicken, ribs, burgers, hot dogs, or any other grilled meat.
- Sandwiches: Macaroni salad is a perfect side dish for any type of sandwich, whether it’s a classic deli sandwich or a hearty sub.
- Fried chicken: Macaroni salad complements the richness of fried chicken with its creamy, tangy flavor.
- Grilled seafood: Macaroni salad is a great side dish for grilled shrimp, salmon, or any other type of seafood.
- Vegetarian dishes: Macaroni salad pairs well with vegetarian dishes like grilled vegetables, vegetable burgers, or tofu.
- Potluck or picnic: Macaroni salad is a popular potluck or picnic dish, and can be paired with a variety of main dishes such as grilled meats, sandwiches, or vegetable dishes.
- Soups and stews: Macaroni salad can also be served as a side dish to hearty soups or stews, such as chili or beef stew.
Want another easy Instant Pot Pasta? Try these!
Instant Pot Macaroni Salad
- 12 oz dry elbow macaroni
- 2 ½ cups water
- 3 eggs
- 1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoons salt divided
- 1.5 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2.5 Tablespoons yellow mustard
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup + 1 Tablespoon olive oil mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- ¾ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup red onion diced
- ½ cup celery diced
- Add the pasta to the bowl of the Instant Pot and insert your trivet. Place the eggs atop the trivet in the Instant Pot. Add the water and 1 Tablespoon of salt and seal the lid. Set to manual high pressure for 5 minutes.
- While the eggs and pasta are cooking, prepare the seasonings. Add the apple cider vinegar, yellow mustard, greek yogurt, olive oil mayonnaise, paprika, lemon juice, pepper and the teaspoon of reserved salt to a large bowl. Stir well to combine.
- When the pressure cooker is done, quick release any remaining pressure. Use tongs to remove the eggs. Drain the pasta. Peel and chop the eggs. Fold the pasta, eggs, red onion and celery into the prepared ingredients and stir to combine.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours and serve.
Instant Pot Macaroni Salad