What is Instant Pot Macaroni Salad?
Instant Pot Macaroni Salad is a fast and easy take on traditional macaroni salad. This dish allows you to cook the macaroni and boil the eggs all at once in the same pot. Our version also lightens up the traditional dish. I swapped olive oil mayonnaise for traditional to drastically cut the fat and also halved the total amount of mayonnaise by swapping in some greek yogurt choosing instead to focus on seasonings for flavorings. This easy macaroni salad is going to quickly be a favorite.
What are the ingredients in Instant Pot Macaroni Salad?
Here is what you will need to make Instant Pot Macaroni Salad:
- Elbow macaroni
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Yellow Mustard
- Greek Yogurt
- Olive Oil Mayonnaise
- Lemon Juice
- Red Onion
How do I make Instant Pot Macaroni Salad?
Begin by cooking the pasta and the eggs. Add the noodles to the base of the Instant Pot. Add the trivet and then place the eggs atop the trivet. Add the water and the salt. Set the Instant Pot to manual high pressure for 5 minutes.
While the eggs and pasta are cooking, combine the apple cider vinegar, yellow mustard, greek yogurt, olive oil mayonnaise, paprika, lemon juice and pepper in a large bowl. Stir well to combine.
When the Instant Pot is done, quick release any remaining pressure. Remove the eggs using tongs and set aside. Drain the pasta in a colander. Peel and chop the eggs.
Combine the macaroni with the sauce ingredients. Fold in the eggs, red onion and celery. Check for salt and pepper. Refrigerate for two hours or more and serve.
What if I don’t have a trivet for my Instant Pot?
No worries. You can easily just place the eggs and noodles in the Instant Pot at the same time without the trivet. The trivet makes it easier, I feel, to remove the eggs first, but it serves no other purpose in this recipe. Elevation above the water, etc, does not matter at all, so you will not need to make any changes to your cooking time, water, or anything else to make this pasta without a trivet.
Instant Pot Macaroni Salad
- 12 oz dry elbow macaroni
- 2 ½ cups water
- 3 eggs
- 1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoons salt divided
- 1.5 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2.5 Tablespoons yellow mustard
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup + 1 Tablespoon olive oil mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- ¾ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup red onion diced
- ½ cup celery diced
- Add the pasta to the bowl of the Instant Pot and insert your trivet. Place the eggs atop the trivet in the Instant Pot. Add the water and 1 Tablespoon of salt and seal the lid. Set to manual high pressure for 5 minutes.
- While the eggs and pasta are cooking, prepare the seasonings. Add the apple cider vinegar, yellow mustard, greek yogurt, olive oil mayonnaise, paprika, lemon juice, pepper and the teaspoon of reserved salt to a large bowl. Stir well to combine.
- When the pressure cooker is done, quick release any remaining pressure. Use tongs to remove the eggs. Drain the pasta. Peel and chop the eggs. Fold the pasta, eggs, red onion and celery into the prepared ingredients and stir to combine.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours and serve.