This Instant Pot Tortellini with Garlic Butter Cream Sauce is the perfect weeknight meal for families. It takes almost no time to prepare and even uses frozen tortellini. Kids and adults will all enjoy this easy pasta dish.
What is cheese tortellini?
Cheese tortellini is a type of pasta that originated in Italy. It is a small, ring-shaped pasta that is filled with a mixture of cheese, typically ricotta and Parmesan cheese, and sometimes also mozzarella or goat cheese. The pasta dough is usually made with flour, eggs, and water, and is rolled thin before being cut into small circles. The cheese filling is then placed in the center of each circle, and the dough is folded over and sealed to create a small ring-shaped pasta.
Ingredients in Instant Pot Cheese Tortellini with Garlic Butter Cream Sauce
- Frozen Tortellini: I used regular cheese tortellini for this dish. You could substitute ravioli if you preferred or use a different flavor (chicken, spinach, etc)
- Vegetable or chicken broth
- Milk: use your favorite type of milk, 2%, whole, almond, etc, whatever your preference is.
- Butter: I prefer to use plant based butter but again, use your favorite.
- Garlic Powder
- Dried Basil
- Grated Parmesan Cheese: I used this one.
- Cornstarch: This is optional and only needed if you wish to thicken the sauce more.
How long does Cheese Tortellini take to cook in the Instant Pot:
That is the true beauty of this dish–1 minute! No joke, it actually takes only one minute to cook this tortellini dish. Your total cook time will be slightly longer as you will need to wait for your Instant Pot to pressurize; however, this is still a very rapid dish.
What if the Garlic Cream Sauce is too thin?
That is where the corn starch will come in. If you feel your sauce is too thin, you have two options: First, you can allow the tortellini to sit a bit longer to see if the sauce naturally thickens on its own. Second, you can swirl in a bit of cornstarch and allow it to thicken the sauce.
Why might the sauce be thin?
Mostly this will be due to your choice of milk. Soy and almond milks will be more likely to yield a thinner sauce than traditional milk.
What to serve with Instant Pot Cheese Tortellini:
- Garlic bread or breadsticks: This classic side dish is the perfect accompaniment to any pasta dish, especially when there’s garlic involved!
- Salad: A fresh green salad with a light vinaigrette dressing can balance out the richness of the pasta dish.
- Roasted vegetables: Roasting vegetables such as zucchini, bell peppers, and mushrooms adds a flavorful and nutritious touch to the meal.
- Grilled chicken or shrimp: Adding a protein like grilled chicken or shrimp can make the dish more filling and satisfying.
- Roasted potatoes: Roasted potatoes are a hearty and comforting side dish that pairs well with pasta.
- Steamed broccoli: A simple side of steamed broccoli can add a pop of color and nutrition to the meal.
How to store leftover Instant Pot Cheese Tortellini
Allow the pasta to cool to room temperature first. Next, put any remaining pasta in an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
If you enjoy this Instant Pot Tortellini try these next:
Instant Pot Pasta Margherita–this easy pasta dish tastes just like it came from a restaurant, but with the help of your instant pot it takes only minutes of hands on time to prepare.
Instant Pot Macaroni Salad–Make your own spin on traditional macaroni salad with this easy 2-in-1 recipe that allows you to hard boil your eggs while preparing your pasta, all inside your pressure cooker!
Instant Pot Italian Drunken Noodles–these Drunken Noodles are a delightful, lightly sauced pasta dish with sausage, tomatoes, bell peppers, white wine and seasonings.
Instant Pot Tortellini with Garlic Butter Cream Sauce
- pressure cooker
- 19 ounce bag frozen tortellini
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch optional
- Add the tortellini to the bowl of the instant pot. Top with the broth, milk, butter, garlic powder and dried basil.
- Set the instant pot to manual high pressure for 1 minute. When the cooking time is done, add the grated parmesan cheese and stir until it is melted.
- If the sauce is too thin, add the cornstarch and stir. Turn off the instant pot and replace the lid and allow to sit for a few minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.