What is Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Stew?
We all know beef stew. The weather begins to cool, the leaves begin to fall and much like cozy sweaters, comforting food cravings just seem to set in. Vegetable Beef Stew is one of those iconic Fall dishes that you really can’t help but crave once it starts to get chilly outside. The problem is, it can take FOREVER to simmer and blend. This version makes the most of what the Instant Pot is best for…speeding things up! This Stew gives you all the flavor of the traditional Stew in under an hour with the help of your favorite pressure cooker!
What are the ingredients in Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Stew?
As you will find with most recipes on this site, I like to stick to simple, easy to find ingredients. This Stew is no exception. Here are the simple ingredients you will need and the easy alternatives, where available:
- Seasoned flour. I used Kentucky Kernel, your favorite seasoned flour will work fine. If you cannot find one, you can substitute all purpose flour but be sure to add some extra seasonings so your stew does not taste flat.
- Salt and pepper
- Beef Stew Meat
- Olive oil
- Beef broth
- Yellow onion (white or sweet is fine if that is what you have on hand)
- Baby bella mushrooms (if you can’t find these, you can substitute white button mushrooms or regular portobello mushrooms). Use the button mushrooms exactly as indicated in the recipe. For the portobello mushrooms, remove the gills gently by scraping with a spoon and then dice.
- Baby carrots. Regular carrots, peeled and chopped could be substituted.
- Baby golden potatoes. Regular red or yellow potatoes would also work, just chop into small, bite-sized pieces.
- Canned petite diced tomatoes, regular diced tomatoes would also be fine
- Fresh thyme
How do I make Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Stew?
As I said above, this is a very simple dish. Here are the easy steps to make the stew:
- Begin by placing the beef in a large bag and tossing with the seasoned flour, salt and pepper.
- Saute the onions in the Instant Pot. Add the beef and cook until browned all over.
- End the saute function and add the remaining ingredients. Pressure cook for 20 minutes and then allow a 15 minute natural pressure release before quick releasing any remaining pressure.
- Strip the thyme stems and check for salt and pepper and you are done!
What to serve with Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Stew?
While this stew could easily be considered a meal on its own, here are a few ideas of sides that pair particularly well with this dish:
- Keep the herbs going by making this Slow Cooker Rosemary Sea Salt Bread which is perfect for soaking up all the delicious broth of the stew
- If you love the idea of a bread with the Stew, but aren’t sure about slow cooker bread try this spicy jalapeno cheese bread. The heat of the bread will cool perfectly with the broth of the soup.
- Put your instant pot on double duty and cook up a super simple side dish that doubles up on the veggies like Ranch Potatoes or Potatoes and Carrots
- Or, keep the veggie-vibe going but lighten things up a bit. These Lemon Roast Veggies are a super fresh, bright way to add a citrus-y twist to your meal.
Or, keep the Beef Stew as a meal unto itself and focus on DESSERT! This amazing Orange Creamsicle Pie is a delightful throw-back to the traditional childhood favorite and will be a hit any time of year.
Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Stew
- ¼ cup seasoned flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb beef stew meat
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 32 oz beef broth
- 1 yellow onion sliced in ½ “ pieces
- 8 oz sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 1 lb baby golden potatoes chop smaller if not bite-sized
- 14.5 oz petite diced tomatoes
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the beef in a large zip top bag. Toss with the seasoned flour and the salt and pepper.
- Set the Instant Pot to saute and add the olive oil. Once heated, add the beef and cook, turning often until browned.
- Turn off the saute feature and add the remaining ingredients. Set to manual high pressure for 20 minutes.
- When the cook time is done, allow a natural pressure release of 15 minutes then quick release any remaining pressure.
- Remove thyme stems and season with additional salt and pepper if desired.