This post may contain affiliate links. To learn more read our disclosure page.
How to make Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana?
This is really a dish that could NOT get any easier. It requires about 5 minutes of chopping and then is basically done. Simply chop up all the veggies. Pull out the spices and broth. Give the onions and crumbles a quick sauté and you are done.
Why would I want a vegetarian version?
You might choose this vegetarian reason for several reasons:
This dish has become iconic, however, with the sausage and bacon, if can be easy to feel left out if you are not a meat eater. If you are keeping it vegetarian, this dish allows you to indulge in all the yummy flavors of traditional Zuppa Toscana without having to include the meat element.
Another option, trying to be healthier! Bacon and sausage aren’t that healthy (shocking news I know). Replacing those with the Morningstar Sausage Style Italian Crumbles gives you the same flavor profile without all that extra fat. Even if you aren’t trying to follow a vegetarian lifestyle, this Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana will help you lighten it up.
- If you don’t care to have the dish vegetarian, you could easily substitute Italian sausage made of pork, chicken, etc
- The garlic powder could be substituted with fresh garlic (simply add in near the end of the onion sauté)
- Yukon gold potatoes could be substituted with russet or red potatoes, just chop in the same manner. I would peel russet potatoes, due to their thicker skins; however it is really up to you.
- Again, if you aren’t following a Vegetarian lifestyle, chicken or beef broth could be subbed for the vegetable broth.
- Want to lighten it up? Swap half-and-half for the Heavy Cream.
- No kale (or don’t want kale). Swap fresh spinach, and/or frozen).
Notes on Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana
- Make sure to add salt/pepper to your taste at the end so the dish doesn’t seem too flat
- This dish pairs amazingly with our Rosemary Bread!
- If you don’t have kale (or don’t like it) feel free to substitute spinach
What to serve with Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana
Crusty bread, Rosemary Bread, Breadsticks, Chilled Italian Salad with crunchy Croutons, Roasted Broccoli, Bread Boules…