Italian Sweet Peppers Recipe Bake is a hearty and flavorful vegetarian dish that pairs well with a variety of sides. It is full of sweet peppers, chickpeas, parmesan cheese and a bright flavorful seasoning.
Ingredients & Substitutions in this Italian Sweet Peppers Casserole
- Soy Beef Crumbles: If you prefer you could substitute ground beef or ground turkey in this recipe.
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 4 Large Bell Peppers: I used 2 red bell peppers, 1 yellow bell pepper and 1 orange bell pepper; however, any combination of peppers would work just fine, including green bell peppers.
- Garlic: I always prefer to use a garlic press for fresh garlic; however, you can mince the garlic if that is your preference
- Green Onions
- Lemon: you will want to use a fresh lemon as you will be using both the juice and the zest of the lemon. The fresh lemon really adds a lot of brightness to this Italian Sweet Peppers dish so you want to make sure you do not skip this ingredient.
- Dry Italian Dressing Mix
- Crushed red pepper flakes: Use these to your heat preference, if you prefer a very mild dish you could even omit the red pepper flakes
- Shredded Parmesan cheese: I really prefer shredded parmesan in this casserole; however, if it is your choice, you could substitute an equal amount of grated parmesan cheese.
How to Make Italian Sweet Peppers Recipe Bake
- Prepare: Your casserole dish by spraying with olive oil cooking spray. Also, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook the Crumbles: If you are using the soy crumbles the recipe calls for you will simply place them in a microwave safe bowl and heat them for approximately 2 minutes, until thawed. *See notes.
- *Note: If you are substituting ground beef or turkey, cook it in a pan until no longer pink. Drain and set aside and proceed with the recipe as directed.
- Heat: A skillet and spray with olive oil cooking spray. Add the peppers, garlic and green onions and cook to soften.
- Add: The soy crumbles (or beef or turkey) back to the skillet along with the lemon juice, lemon zest, dressing mix, pepper flakes (if using) and water. Stir to combine.
- Transfer: to the prepared casserole dish and sprinkle with the cheese.
- Bake: until warmed through and the cheese is melted.
Can Italian Sweet Peppers Recipe Bake be made in Advance?
Absolutely. Your best bet will be to make the dish up until the point of baking and then refrigerate until you are ready to bake. You may need to increase your cooking time slightly to ensure the bake is fully warmed through.
How to Store & Reheat Leftover Italian Sweet Pepper Bake?
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge. This would be a great dish to portion leftovers individually and use for lunches during the week. Leftovers can be microwaved or reheated in the oven on a low temperature.
Can I freeze Italian Sweet Pepper Bake?
Yes, leftovers could easily be frozen. Thaw overnight in a refrigerator and bake to warm through.
You could also make the casserole up to the point of baking and freeze to serve at a later date following the directions above.
What to serve with this Italian Sweet Peppers Casserole
This casserole pairs well with a variety of sides. Here are some suggestions for what to serve with a chickpea and pepper casserole:
- Rice or Quinoa: Serve the casserole over a bed of steamed rice or quinoa. This will help to soak up the flavorful sauce and add some extra texture to the dish.
- Salad: A fresh salad is always a good complement to a hearty casserole. A simple green salad with a vinaigrette dressing or a cucumber and tomato salad with a yogurt dressing would be great choices.
- Garlic Bread: Garlic bread or crusty bread is always a crowd-pleaser and pairs well with a chickpea and pepper casserole. Serve it on the side for dipping in the sauce.
- Roasted Vegetables: Roasted vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, or Brussels sprouts are a healthy and flavorful side dish that would complement the casserole nicely.
- Tzatziki Sauce: Tzatziki sauce is a creamy and tangy sauce that pairs well with chickpea and pepper casserole. It’s easy to make with Greek yogurt, cucumber, garlic, and dill.
- Roasted Potatoes: Roasted potatoes are a classic side dish that would go well with the casserole. Cut them into bite-sized pieces and roast them in the oven with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
Some of our other Vegetarian Casserole Bakes to try next:
- Air Fryer Broccoli & Cheese Noodle Bake:
- This air fryer broccoli & cheese noodle bake is comfort food at its finest. Cheese, broccoli and egg noodles in a homemade cheesy sauce are quickly made into a delicious pasta bake that tastes like it was baked for a long time, but, thanks to the air fryer is cooked to perfection in under 15 minutes.
- Easy Boursin Tomato Pasta Bake
- A MUCH more flavorful take on the beloved feta pasta, this Boursin Tomato pasta is packed with herbaceous flavor, cheesy goodness, and just enough heat to make it an unforgettable favorite. Even better, it could not be easier to make!
- Chile Rellenos Enchilada Bake
- Air fryer chile rellenos enchilada bake is a delicious and flavorful dish that combines the smoky and spicy flavors of roasted poblano peppers with the savory taste of enchilada sauce and cheese.
Italian Sweet Peppers Recipe Bake
- 1 ½ cups soy beef crumbles
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 4 bell peppers finely chopped* See notes
- 4 Large cloves garlic pressed or minced
- 3 green onions chopped
- 1 Large lemon zested and juiced
- 4 celery stalks finely chopped
- 1 can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1 .7 ounce packet dry Italian dressing mix
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½-¾ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Heat oven to 350 and spray a casserole dish with olive oil spray.
- Place the soy crumbles in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 2 minutes.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and spray with olive oil spray.
- Add the peppers, garlic, green onions and celery and cook for 4-5 minutes or until softened.
- Add in the soy crumbles, lemon juice and zest, dressing mix, pepper flakes, chickpeas and ⅛ cup of water. Stir well to combine and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer the entire contents of the skillet to the prepared casserole dish and sprinkle with the shredded parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
I used 2 red peppers, 1 orange and 1 yellow. Any combination of peppers, including green would work fine.
Italian Sweet Peppers Recipe Bake
Spicy Hawaiian Pizza