This Paprika Cream Sauce in the Instant Pot is made in mere minutes and is the epitome of cook once, eat twice (or more!). This spice-filled versatile sauce is big on peppers and short on time. This is sure to be a favorite in no time (pun intended). But wait, there’s more…. this is a double-duty recipe, meaning, cook-once eat twice. Which, in my book, is always a family favorite. I will show you below how to repurpose this sauce into a second, equally delicious dish!
So what is the “cook twice” of paprika cream sauce?
When made with hot Mexican paprika, as indicated in the recipe. This sauce makes the perfect sauce for our easy Air Fryer Enchilada Casserole!
What is Paprika
Paprika is a spice made from dried and ground sweet red peppers (Capsicum annuum). It is commonly used in many cuisines, including Hungarian, Spanish, and Indian cuisine, and is often used to add flavor and color to dishes. Paprika can range in flavor from mild to spicy, depending on the variety of pepper used and the way it is processed. It can be found in various forms, including smoked, sweet, hot, and Hungarian paprika, which is known for its vibrant red color and slightly sweet flavor. Paprika is often used to season meat, poultry, fish, vegetables, soups, stews, and rice dishes, and is also a common ingredient in spice blends and rubs.
Paprika Sauce Ingredients:
- Butter, I used olive oil butter but any type will work fine
- Onion-yellow works best, but white will be fine in a pinch
- Red bell peppers
- Garlic powder
- Paprika-I used hot paprika to make this dish which provides some spice, if you would prefer a less spicy dish, you could substitute Hungarian sweet paprika
- Vegetable broth
- Roasted bell peppers-these can be homemade or from a jar
- Diced tomatoes-petite or regular will work fine as you will be pureeing the sauce later
- Tahini sauce- I use this one which doesn’t get dried out and required a lot of stirring as some other brands do
- soy sauce
- sour cream
How to make Spicy Paprika Sauce in a slow cooker:
- Begin by heating the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and bell peppers and saute until they begin to soften, 3-5 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to the bowl of your slow cooker. Add the next 7 ingredients (through the soy sauce). Replace the lid of your slow cooker and cook on high for 2 hours or low for 4 hours.
- When the cooking time is done puree your paprika sauce to your desired consistency using an immersion blender (if you do not have an immersion blender, simply transfer the sauce to a standard blender).
- Stir in the lemon juice, sour cream, salt and pepper.
If you like Paprika Cream Sauce, try these Instant Pot Pastas:
Instant Pot Italian Drunken Noodles are a saucy dish that cooks all in one pot!
Instant Pot Pasta Margherita tomatoes, basil and a creamy sauce make this Italian-inspired favorite.
Instant Pot Butter Noodles is the epitome of comfort food.
Need More Ideas for ways to use your Paprika Cream Sauce:
- Grilled or roasted meats: Paprika sauce pairs well with grilled or roasted chicken, beef, pork, or lamb. It can be served on the side or used as a marinade or glaze.
- Roasted vegetables: Roasted vegetables like carrots, potatoes, and bell peppers can be drizzled with paprika sauce for added flavor.
- Fish and seafood: Paprika sauce can be used as a dipping sauce for fried or grilled fish and seafood like shrimp or scallops.
- Rice and grains: Paprika sauce can be mixed with cooked rice or grains like quinoa, bulgur, or couscous for a flavorful side dish.
- Sandwiches and wraps: Paprika sauce can be used as a spread on sandwiches and wraps, adding a smoky and spicy flavor.
- Grilled or roasted vegetables: Paprika sauce pairs well with grilled or roasted vegetables like eggplant, zucchini, and mushrooms.
- Soups and stews: Paprika sauce can be used to flavor soups and stews like goulash, bean soup, or lentil soup.
Paprika Cream Sauce for Pasta
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 red bell peppers chopped
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 Tablespoons paprika see note
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 2 roasted bell peppers chopped
- 1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes drained
- 1.5 Tablespoons tahini sauce
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- ½ cup sour cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tablespoon corn starch optional
- Set the Instant Pot to saute. Add the butter and allow it to melt. Add the onion and red bell peppers and saute until softened, 3-5 minutes.
- Add the next 7 ingredients (through the soy sauce). Set the lid to sealing and manual high pressure for 5 minutes. Quick release the pressure when the cooking time is done.
- Puree to desired consistency using an immersion blender. Stir through the lemon juice, sour cream and salt and pepper.
- If you desire a thicker sauce, add the corn starch and return the sauce to saute, stirring, until desired consistency is achieved.