Bring on the fresh flavors of Springtime with this easy Radish Appetizer Recipe that takes just minutes to prepare and uses many items you may already have in your pantry. They are perfect for parties or for an easy side dish to serve with a light, fresh meal.
Ingredients and Substitutions
Butter: I generally use either plant based or olive oil butter; however, whatever your favorite butter is will work just fine.
Cream cheese: For this recipe I chose chive and onion flavored cream cheese. I like the contrast of flavors with the buttered radishes. If you wanted to try something different, vegetable cream cheese or an alouette cheese would be a good option.
Matzo Wafers: These are such a hidden gem. They work wonderfully in a bunch of traditional recipes; however, they are also one of my favorite flatbread or crispbreads. They also keep very well so they are easy to have on hand for a quick side when you need one.
Salt: Flake-y kosher salt will yield the best flavor for this radish appetizer.
How to Make Radish Appetizer Recipe Crisps
Top, tail and scrub the radishes. Thinly slice.
Heat the butter in a saucepan over medium-high. When melted and bubbling, add the radish slices for 5 minutes.
Remove from the pan and place in a colander to allow any excess butter to drain. Lightly sprinkle with kosher salt.
Divide the cream cheese between the two matzos and spread in a thin, even layer on each.
Arrange the radishes on top of the cream cheese. Slice each matzo into 4 pieces and serve.
Besides this radish appetizer recipe, here are some other great ways to use radishes:
- In salads: Radishes add a crunchy texture and a peppery flavor to salads. Slice them thinly and add them to your favorite green salad or use them as a base for a radish salad.
- As a snack: Radishes can be a healthy and satisfying snack. Serve them with a dip such as hummus or tzatziki or sprinkle them with salt and eat them on their own.
- Roasted or grilled: Roasting or grilling radishes can bring out their sweetness and mellow their peppery flavor. Toss them with a little oil and roast them in the oven or grill them until tender and lightly charred.
- Pickled: Radishes are great for pickling. Slice them thinly and marinate them in a mixture of vinegar, sugar, and salt. Use them as a condiment for sandwiches or tacos, or serve them alongside cheese and crackers.
- In sandwiches or wraps: Thinly sliced radishes make a great addition to sandwiches or wraps. They add crunch and a burst of flavor to any sandwich.
- As a garnish: Use sliced or diced radishes as a garnish for soups, stews, or other savory dishes. They add color and flavor to the dish and can make it look more attractive.
If you enjoy this radish appetizer recipe, try these next:
- Radish Hummus is as fresh as it gets and is a perfect way to use extra radishes from you CSA or garden.
- Vegetable Noodle Soup is another veggie packed recipe that is great for spring.
Radish Appetizer Recipe Crisps
- 1 bunch radishes
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 4 ounces chive onion cream cheese
- 2 matzos
- Sprinkle of kosher salt
- Top, tail and scrub the radishes. Thinly slice.
- Heat the butter in a saucepan over medium-high. When melted and bubbling, add the radish slices for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and place in a colander to allow any excess butter to drain. Lightly sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Divide the cream cheese between the two matzos and spread in a thin, even layer on each.
- Arrange the radishes on top of the cream cheese. Slice each matzo into 4 pieces and serve.
Radish Appetizer Recipe Crisps