This easy to make Spicy Spanish Omelette has all the flavors of a Jalapeno Popper alongside the traditional egg and potato of a Spanish Tortilla. This version is beyond easy to make in the oven and comes out beautifully making it a perfect pick for Brunch or a fancy breakfast. It keeps very well making leftover great for meal prep and is easy to customize to match you personal preference for heat (or lack thereof)!
How to make this Spicy Spanish Omelette
Begin with the potatoes
Thinly slice some baby yellow potatoes. There is no need to peel the potatoes but if you prefer to it won’t harm anything. A mandolin would be helpful, but you can also just thinly slice using a knife.
Prepare the filling
Begin by sautéing the jalapenos, onions and garlic powder in olive oil until softened. Cook the bacon and finely cube the cream cheese. Beat the eggs in a large bowl and stir through the remaining ingredients. Pour over the potatoes in the pan.
Cook & Serve
Bake the Spicy Spanish Omelette for 35-40 minutes, or until it is fully set, in an oven preheated to 350 degrees. Traditionally, Spanish tortillas are served by inverting onto a plate, slicing and serving. For this Spicy Spanish Omelette, I prefer to not invert the dish as I prefer the appearance of the dish that way (the potatoes look a little plain), but choice is yours. Slice in as many servings as you would like, 4-8 and serve warm.
How to customize Spicy Spanish Omelette:
- Potatoes: Swap the yellow potatoes for baby red potatoes. Standard size red or yellow potatoes could also be used, they would just need to be halved or quartered before slicing.
- Jalapenos: If you don’t want to use fresh jalapenos, you could substitute pickled jalapeno slices by simply omitting the cooking of the jalapenos.
- Onions: You could use red onion instead. You could also substitute 1/4-1/2t of dried onion powder. If you wanted the onion could be omitted.
- Garlic Powder: If you prefer, substitute 1 clove of fresh garlic, minced, and cooked with the jalapenos and onions
- Bacon: If you want to keep the dish vegetarian, feel free to substitute a vegetarian-friendly bacon alternative.
- Cream Cheese: The pepper jack wedges used in the recipe could easily be swapped for another flavor if you prefer. You could also use cubes of plain cream cheese or Neufchatel.
- Cheese: The extra sharp cheddar cheese could be swapped for regular cheddar cheese. You could also swap pepper jack cheese if you preferred.
- Hot Sauce: Feel free to omit or swap to any brand you prefer. I used Texas Pete, but Tobasco, Tapito, or any other thin, red hot sauce would be perfect for this dish.
Can this Omelette be made in advance?
Yes! This Spanish Omelette can absolutely be made in advance! It keeps very well and will store well when refrigerated in an air-tight container for 3-4 days. Reheat in a low oven or microwave and serve. Leftovers are great for quick mornings!
What to serve with this Spicy Spanish Omelette?
This dish is so pretty and beyond easy to make, which makes it perfect for brunch or a fancy breakfast for a special occasion. Here are some great dishes to serve alongside it to make it a meal:
- These Cinnamon Streusel Muffins have a secret make-it-fast hack that makes them amazingly simple. Kids and adults alike will be obsessed with these simple, sweet treats.
- Banana bread=yum, this Air Fryer Banana Bread is so easy to make and cooks in a fraction of the time it takes to cook bread in a conventional oven. Even better, this version can be made with frozen bananas! So easy to keep on hand and have ready whenever you want some fresh bread for breakfast!
- Fruit salad- a simple mixture of seasonal fruits will pair perfectly with this egg-based dish and add a nice fresh element to your menu. Strawberries, grapes, grapefruit, kiwi and more would all pair very well with this tortilla.
- Sauteed greens- add a bit more veggies to your meal by adding some greens. Keep it simple with some steamed spinach or try something a little bit more indulgent like this Instant Pot Creamed Spinach.
Spicy Spanish Omelette
- 1 pound yellow potatoes thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 jalapenos seeded, halved and sliced
- ½ small onion diced
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 2 wedges laughing cow pepper jack cheese diced
- 1 cup extra sharp shredded cheddar cheese
- A few dashes of hot sauce
- 6 eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Spray a pie pan with olive oil spray and heat an oven to 350 degrees. Evenly layer the potatoes in the bottom of the pie plate.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, jalapenos and garlic powder. Cook, stirring, until starting to brown, 3-5 minutes.
- Beat the eggs. Gently fold the remaining ingredients into the eggs. Pour evenly over the potatoes.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until the tortilla is fully set and a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.