What is Strawberry Apple Jam without Pectin?
This easy Strawberry Apple Jam is so simple to make and tastes amazing. It is great on toast or English muffins. You will love this homemade version so much more than store bought jam.
- Frozen Strawberries– I used frozen strawberries instead of fresh for this recipe for several reasons. First, they are available all year round allowing you to make this Strawberry Apple Jam whatever the season. Also, they tend to be more uniform in size than store-bought fresh strawberries allowing them to cook more evenly.
- Sweet Red Apples– I used gala apples for this recipe. One pound of apples was approximately 3 apples. Honeycrisp or Red Delicious apples would also work well.
- Granulated Sugar
- Lemon Juice-you can use either freshly squeezed lemon juice or bottled lemon juice.
- Corn Starch
How to Make Strawberry Apple Jam
Begin by coring the apples and cutting them into slices. You do not need to peel the apples. The pectin in the peel will help your jam come together. Place the prepared apples in the bowl of your Instant Pot along with the frozen Strawberries.
Next add the sugar and the lemon juice. Place the lid on the pressure cooker and set the valve to sealing. Cook on manual high pressure for 15 minutes. When the cooking time is done, allow the pressure to release naturally. This will take approximately 10 minutes.
At this point your jam will look very soup-y. Do not worry, the picture on the right is exactly how it should look at this stage.
Puree the jam using an immersion blender until smooth and about the consistency of marinara sauce. If you do not have an immersion blender, you can transfer the mixture to a blender or food processor to smooth.
Next, combine the water and cornstarch and mix well until you have a smooth slurry. Stir the mixture into the jam. Set the Instant Pot to sauté and bring to a full boil for several minutes, stirring frequently until thickened. Allow to cool before moving to jars.
Storing the Strawberry Apple Jam
I use these reusable jar lids to store the jam in glass jars in the refrigerator. They work well for the jam but also are great for meal prep or storing leftover soups. This jam will make enough to fill two jars. When stored in an airtight container in the fridge, this jam should keep for about three weeks.
If you prefer, your jam may be frozen. It will keep for up to three months in the freezer and can be thawed by moving to the refrigerator.
Serving Strawberry Apple Jam
This jam is really tasty and a definite hit with kids. Here are some of our favorite ways to serve this jam:
- On English Muffins
- On Bagels with some cream cheese
- On crostini with marscapone
- On biscuits with some butter
If you like this Strawberry Apple Jam, here are some other recipes you may like:
- This Air Fryer Banana Bread is moist and a snap to make. It cooks quickly with the help of an air fryer but could also be made in a conventional oven.
- These Mini Quiches also made in the air fryer are a simple treat to serve for brunch and can easily be assembled in advance.
- Once you see how easy it is to make this strawberry apple jam in your instant pot, be sure to try out our Old Fashioned Cinnamon Pear Butter which is perfect for gifting.
- This Spicy Spanish Omelet has all of the flavors of a jalapeno popper baked into a cheese and potato packed dish.
Strawberry Apple Jam without pectin
- pressure cooker
- 1 pound bag frozen strawberries
- 1 pound of sweet red apples see notes
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 Tablespoons corn starch
- 3 Tablespoons water
- Core the apples and cut into slices.
- Add the apples to the bowl of the Instant Pot along with the strawberries, granulated sugar and lemon juice.
- Place the lid on the pressure cooker and set to sealing. Set to high pressure for 15 minutes.
- When the cooking time is done, allow a natural pressure release. This will take about 10 minutes.
- Puree the jam using an immersion blender.
- Combine the corn starch and water in a small bowl until smooth. Stir the mixture into the strawberry mixture. Set the Instant Pot to saute and bring to a full boil for several minutes, stirring frequently until thickened.