This Soft Baguette Recipe recipe is easy to make baguette has just six simple ingredients and requires a bare minimum of hands on time. Our easy microwave dough hack speeds up your rising time allowing your bread to be ready super fast. Use these loaves to make sub sandwiches or serve alongside your favorite soup or stew.
Ingredients in this Soft Baguette Recipe
Water- You will want to use water that is warm, but not boiling to help proof your yeast.
Yeast-I used this one
Sugar- Granulated white sugar
Salt -Kosher salt works best for this recipe
Bread Flour-Bread flower will ensure that your baguette gets the soft texture that is the goal of this recipe.
What is a baguette
A baguette is a type of French bread that is long, narrow, and crusty. It is made from flour, water, yeast, and salt, and is typically characterized by its thin, crispy crust and chewy interior. The traditional French baguette is about 65-70 cm (26-28 inches) long and weighs around 250-300 grams (8-10 ounces). The baguette is an iconic part of French cuisine and is often used as the base for sandwiches or as an accompaniment to meals. It is usually best eaten fresh on the day it is baked, and is often sold in bakeries or at markets.
What to serve with Baguettes?
Baguettes are a versatile bread that can be served with a variety of dishes. Here are some ideas for what to serve with baguettes:
- Cheese: Baguettes are a classic accompaniment to cheese. Serve a variety of cheeses such as Brie, Camembert, and Gouda with slices of baguette.
- Charcuterie: A platter of cured meats, such as prosciutto, salami, and chorizo, along with olives, pickles, and mustard, is a perfect match for baguette.
- Soups and stews: Baguettes are great for soaking up the broth of soups and stews. Serve a bowl of French onion soup or a hearty beef stew with slices of baguette on the side.
- Salads: A baguette can be sliced and toasted to make croutons for a salad. Serve a Caesar salad or a Nicoise salad with baguette croutons.
- Spreads and dips: Baguettes can be sliced and served with a variety of spreads and dips such as hummus, baba ganoush, or tzatziki.
- Bruschetta: Toasted baguette slices can be topped with fresh tomatoes, basil, and garlic for a classic Italian appetizer.
- Breakfast: Baguettes can be sliced and toasted for a breakfast treat. Serve with butter and jam or as the base for an open-faced egg sandwich
Soft Baguette Recipe
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 Tablespoon yeast
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 4 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 2 ½ to 3 cups of bread flour
- Combine the water, yeast and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Allow to sit for a few minutes until the yeast becomes foamy.
- Stir in the salt, olive oil and 2 ½ cups of the flour. Stir well. If the mixture seems to wet add up to ½ cup of additional flour. It should pull away from the sides of the bowl.
- Knead the dough for 8 minutes. Return to the bowl and place in a microwave. Microwave approximately 10 seconds. Add a towel on top of the dough and leave in the microwave for 30 minutes.
- Next, divide the dough in half. Shape into two loaves. Place on a sheet of parchment paper. Return to your microwave and again microwave 10 seconds and cover the dough. Allow to rise for 1 hour.
- Near the end of the rise time, preheat the oven to 350. Move the loaves to a baking sheet and cook for 25 minutes. When the cooking time is done, brush the tops with melted butter.