Where did this Tatziki Pasta Salad Come From?
Before we moved, we had a quick-serve Greek-style restaurant right by our home. We would often stop of for a quick dinner of Spanakopita or Greek Salad Pitas. Once we started having kids, the fresh pita bread with tzatziki dip on the side became the preferred dish of this children.
This familiarity made for often, easy, pickups, until….we moved two states away. And, I still have not been able to find a local place with the same offerings. But, I still get the same requests, so it was time to try and craft a replacement. That is where Tzatziki Pasta Salad had its origin.
This post may contain affiliate links. To learn more read our disclosure page.
What is Tzatziki Pasta Salad
Tzatziki is traditionally a sauce made of yogurt, oil, cucumber, garlic, salt, herbs and vinegar or lemon juice. It is often served with Falafel, pita bread or lamb.
In this dish, we have combined the traditional tatziki sauce, with some other beloved Mediterranean flavors: feta cheese, sun dried tomatoes, marinated artichokes, noodles, cucumbers, onions and seasonings.
How could I mix up Tzatziki Pasta Salad?
This dish could really be made with any noodle of your choice. If you prefer spaghetti, elbows, ditalini, or any other noodle, go for it, this dish is very amenable.
Ingredient swaps? Roasted red bell peppers, fresh spinach (finely shredded), finely shredded carrots, green olives, fresh tomatoes or pepperoncini peppers would all make for great additions (or swaps) for this recipe).
What to serve with Tzatziki Pasta Salad?
This dish is really so versatile it would work with a bunch of options. A few ideas include:
- Chicken Shawarma
- Pita bread or pita chips
- Fresh Greek Salad
- Greek grilled chicken
- Lamb Kabobs
Tatziki Pasta Salad
This dish tastes better the longer it sits. Ideally, make this the day before you plan to serve it so it can fully marinate.
- 16oz low fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4c olive oil
- 2T chopped fresh dill
- 1.5T lemon juice
- 1.5t sea salt
- 1/2-1t black pepper
- 1/2-3/4t garlic powder
- 16oz box of pasta (I used penne, but use whatever you like)
- 1c pitted Kalamata or black olives, sliced
- 2 cucumbers, peeled, seeded and diced
- 3/4c sundried tomatoes in oil, rinsed and chopped
- 10oz jar marinated artichokes, drained and chopped
- 1-1.5c feta cheese, crumbled
- Stir together first 7 ingredients. Put in a bowl and chill for 1-24 hours.
- Cook pasta to al dente (per box instructions), drain well.
- Put cooked pasta in a large bowl. Stir in olives, cucumbers, sundried tomatoes and artichokes. Stir in yogurt sauce and stir to coat. Fold in the feta cheese. Cover and chill for at least 1 hourl