Texas Toast Sloppy Joes are the perfect combination of Texas Toast and Sloppy Joes.
Texas Toast is delicious, thickly sliced bread that is buttery and toasted on the outside and pillow-y soft on the inside. For this recipe we use it as the base for sloppy joes. Our sloppy joes combine beef, onions, tomato sauce and seasonings for a super-quick homemade sauce. A good handful of shredded sharp cheddar cheese and a trip under the broiler to melt makes for the perfect, beefy cheesy dinner that will be a hit with kids and adults alike.
What are the ingredients in Texas Toast Sloppy Joes?
- 1 batch of Air Fryer Texas Toast –our homemade version makes this recipe turn out so much better; however, if you are super-pressed for time, you can substitute in the frozen version
- Ground beef– I used 93% lean ground beef
- Onion-yellow or white onion, chopped, will both work fine
- Canned tomato sauce
- Yellow Mustard
- Apple cider vinegar
- Brown sugar
- Salt and pepper
- Shredded cheddar cheese
How to make Texas Toast Sloppy Joes?
- Begin the recipe by making one batch of our Air Fryer Texas Toast.
- The homemade Texas toast really makes a difference in this recipe; however, if you are unable to make the fresh Texas toast, the premade version will also work alright.
- Start the sloppy joes by heating a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and the beef and cook, stirring. Break up the beef using a spatula. Continue to cook until the beef is no longer pink and the onions are sautéed.
- This is where our version gets super simple! At this point you will add in all the remaining ingredients for the sloppy joes: the canned tomato sauce, ketchup, yellow mustard, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Lower the heat to a simmer and continue to cook, stirring, until the mixture is well combined and the sauce has thickened a bit.
- Use half of the prepared Texas Toast slices as bases for your sloppy joe sandwiches. Ladle a good scoop of the sloppy joe mixture on top of each slice. Top with a good sprinkling of the shredded cheddar cheese. Melt the cheese either in the microwave or by placing the pieces under a broiler.
- Serve the Texas Toast Sloppy Joes either open-faced or top with a second slice of Texas toast and make it a sandwich.
Can Texas Toast Sloppy Joes be made in advance?
To make in advance, prepare the sloppy joe filling. It can be made in its entirety and stored, in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
The Air Fryer Texas Toast can be made earlier in the day and then assembled into sandwiches when you are ready to make dinner.
What to serve with Texas Toast Sloppy Joes?
- Veggies – some fresh veggies like broccoli or asparagus would be amazing. You can keep it super easy with these Instant Pot Potatoes and Carrots come together in no time but would go great with these sandwiches.
- Salad– a fresh side salad would be great along with these cheesy, beefy sandwiches. This Copycat Chick Fil a Kale Crunch Salad is a perfect example.
- Potatoes– fries, potato wedges, scalloped and other potato-y goddess would all be great with sloppy joes. These Cheesy Potato Bites would be especially good with the sloppy joes.
- Crunchies–consider something with a crisp bite to pair with these softer sandwiches. Fried cheese crisps, mozzarella sticks or these scrumptious Spicy Alabama Fire Crackers all make delicious go-alongs for these Texas Toast Sloppy Joes.
- Dessert– these sloppy joes on Texas toast can be almost a meal unto themselves, so pairing them with a light dessert just makes sense. This Orange Creamsicle Pie makes the perfect pairing for these beefy sandwiches with cheese.
Texas Toast Sloppy Joes
- 1 batch Air Fryer Texas Toast
- 1 lb ground beef
- ½ onion chopped
- 1, 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 Tablespoons ketchup
- 2 Tablespoons yellow mustard
- 3 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the ground beef and onion, crumbling the beef until fully cooked and no longer pink. Stir in the remaining sloppy joe ingredients (through the salt) and stir. Lower heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally for approximately 10 minutes to allow the sauce to blend.
- Prepare the Texas toast as directed. Use half the slices of Texas toast as bases for your sandwich. Layer a good scoop of the sloppy joe filling on top. Top with the shredded cheese, microwave for a few seconds or place under a broiler to melt the cheese. Top with the remaining Texas toast slices.