What are Vegetarian Black Eyed Peas Instant Pot?
These Vegetarian Black Eyed Peas for the Instant Pot are perfect for New Years day to start your year with some good luck; however, these are also an easy, protein packed dish that works wonderfully as a light meal any time of year. Our version keeps it vegetarian friendly but still packs a flavorful punch with the addition of some veggies and seasonings.
What are the Ingredients for Vegetarian Black Eyed Peas Instant Pot?
Traditionally black eyed peas are cooked with pork and greens. Our version skips both for a more versatile flavorful dish. Later in the post I will give you some ideas on how to serve these black eyed peas. Here is what you will need to make this dish:
- Olive oil
- Red onion
- Green bell pepper
- Red bell pepper
- Garlic powder
- Hot sauce
- Salt and pepper
- Liquid smoke
- Bay leaf
- Dried black eyed peas
- Vegetable broth
How do I make Vegetarian Black Eyed Peas Instant Pot?
Begin by peeling and chopping the red onion. Seed and chop the bell peppers and chop the parsley. Add the oil to the bowl of the Instant Pot and set the pot to saute. Once the oil is heated, add the onion and both bell peppers. Saute for a few minutes until beginning to soften and then turn off the Instant Pot.
Add the garlic powder, hot sauce, salt, pepper, liquid smoke, mustard, bay leaf, dried black eyed peas and vegetable broth to the Instant Pot. Stir to combine all of the ingredients. Set the Instant Pot to high pressure for 15 minutes. When the cooking time is done, allow the pressure to naturally release for 15 minutes and then quick release any remaining pressure. Stir through the parsley and check for salt and pepper.
How to Serve Vegetarian Black Eyed Peas Instant Pot?
Serve the black eyed peas with rice or cornbread to sop up some of the extra broth. You could also use some of the peas in a wrap or to add protein to a salad.
Can these Black Eyed Peas be made in advance?
Yes. To prepare in advance, cook as directed. Allow to cool and place in an airtight container. The peas can be stored in the refrigerator for several days.
Vegetarian Black Eyed Peas Instant Pot
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small red onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 Tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 ½ cups dried black eyed peas
- 32 oz vegetable broth
- ¼ cup parsley finely chopped
- Add the oil to the bowl of the Instant Pot. Set the pot to sauté and allow the oil to heat. When the oil is heated, add the onions, red bell peppers and green bell peppers to the instant pot. Sauté, stirring occasionally until softening, 3-4 minutes. Turn off the instant pot.
- Add the remaining ingredients except for the parsley to the instant pot and stir. Set the pot to manual high pressure for 15 minutes. When the cooking time is done, allow a natural pressure release of 15 minutes and then quick release any remaining pressure.
- Stir through the parsley and check for salt and pepper.