What is Vegetarian Italian Wedding Soup?
As you can likely guess from the name this is a meatless take on traditional Italian Wedding Soup. Italian Wedding Soup, is so called, because of how well the flavors in the soup combine or “wed”. Our version keeps the “better-together” flavors but skips the traditional pork or beef meatballs in favor of a meatless alternative and swaps out the chicken broth for a vegetable base. The result is a hearty, easy to prepare soup that is a winter-time winner for meat eaters or vegetarians.
What are the ingredients for Vegetarian Italian Wedding Soup?
Here is what you will need to make this easy Italian Wedding Soup Recipe:
- Olive oil
- Meatless meatballs
- I used these
- Worcestershire sauce*
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Steak seasoning
- Vegetable broth
- Ditalini pasta
- Salt and pepper
- Note: some brands of Worcestershire sauce contain anchovies, to keep the soup vegetarian use a vegetarian-friendly brand such as Annie’s Naturals
How do I make Vegetarian Italian Wedding Soup?
Begin by heating a teaspoon of the oil in a large stockpot. Add the “meat”balls and cook, turning occasionally, until they have browned all over. Remove the balls from the pan and place on a plate.
Heat the remaining oil in the stock pot. Add the onions, carrots and the seasonings to the pan and saute, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to soften.
Return the meatballs to the pot and add the vegetable broth and the meatballs back to the pot. Bring the broth to a boil. Add in the pasta and cook for 5 minutes.
After 5 minutes, add the kale to the pot and place the lid on top of the pot. Continue cooking until the kale has begun to wilt and the pasta is al dente, 3-5 minutes. Adjust salt and pepper to your liking and serve immediately, topped with freshly shredded parmesan cheese.
How can Vegetarian Italian Wedding Soup be made in an Instant Pot?
Add the oil to the bowl of the Instant Pot and set to saute mode. Cook the meatballs, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides. Turn off the Instant Pot.
Add the remaining ingredients except for the kale and pasta. Set to manual high pressure for 10 minutes.
When the cooking time is done, stir in the pasta and kale. Return the lid to the pot and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes until the kale is wilted and the pasta is cooked through.
How can Vegetarian Italian Wedding Soup be made in a Slow Cooker?
Add all ingredients except for the pasta to the slow cooker and set to High for 3-4 hours or Low for 6-8 hours.
When the cooking time is done, add the pasta. Stir through and return the lid to the slow cooker and allow to sit for 10-15 minutes until the pasta is cooked through.
Can Vegetarian Italian Wedding Soup be made in advance?
Yes, allow the soup to cool before adding to airtight containers and store in the refrigerator. Leftover soup will keep well for 3-4 days.
What to serve with Vegetarian Italian Wedding Soup?
With soy protein, vegetables and pasta all included in the soup, it can easily be considered a meal unto itself. Here are some additional ideas if you would like to make the soup a bit more of a meal:
Italian wedding soup is a delicious and hearty soup that combines meatballs, vegetables, and pasta in a flavorful broth. Here are some suggestions for what to serve with Italian wedding soup:
- Crusty bread: A warm, crusty bread is a perfect accompaniment to Italian wedding soup. Serve with some butter or olive oil for dipping.
- Salad: A light and refreshing salad is a great way to balance out the richness of the soup. A simple side salad with a vinaigrette dressing or a Caesar salad would be perfect.
- Bruschetta: Toasted bread topped with fresh tomatoes, basil, and garlic is a classic Italian appetizer that would go well with Italian wedding soup.
- Antipasti platter: An antipasti platter with a variety of meats, cheeses, olives, and vegetables is a great way to start the meal and would complement the soup nicely.
- Roasted vegetables: Roasted vegetables such as carrots, zucchini, and bell peppers would add some extra flavor and nutrition to the meal.
- Parmesan cheese: Sprinkling some grated Parmesan cheese over the soup before serving adds a nice touch of saltiness and creaminess.
- Italian wine: A glass of Italian wine, such as Chianti or Sangiovese, would be a great way to round out the meal.
- Air Fryer Breadsticks are an easy, cheese topped breadstick side that would be great served alongside this soup or dipped into the soup.
- These Garlic Knots are a super-easy bread side dish that uses pre-made pizza dough for a beyond fast dish.
- These Roast Vegetable Flatbreads or Super Easy Calzones would both be easy ways to make a nice soup and salad meal.
Vegetarian Italian Wedding Soup
- 2 teaspoons olive oil divided
- 12 oz bag meat-alternative meatballs I used Gardein
- 1 small onion chopped
- ½ lb carrots peeled and sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon steak seasoning
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup ditalini pasta
- 1 bunch of kale tough stems removed, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Shredded parmesan to serve optional
- Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a stock pot over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and cook, turning occasionally until lightly browned. Remove to a plate.
- Heat the remaining oil in the same pot. Add the onion, carrot, worcestershire sauce, onion powder, garlic powder and steak seasoning. Saute for 3-4 minutes until the vegetables are beginning to soften.
- Add the meatballs back to the pot and add the vegetable broth. Bring to a boil. Once the water is boiling, add the pasta and cook, uncovered for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, add the kale and put a lid on the pot. Continue cooking for 3 more minutes until the kale is wilted and the pasta is done cooking. Taste for salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Vegetarian Italian Wedding Soup