How to Make Vegetarian Stuffed Poblano Peppers?
Begin by cooking the rice, substituting the vegetable broth for the water. Drain and set aside.
Next prepare the bell peppers:
Broil the peppers directly on an oven rack, turning occasionally until blistered all over. Remove to a bowl and cover with a lid or saran wrap for a few minutes to allow to cool. Remove from a bowl and gently remove the blistered skin. Cut a T shape in the pepper and remove the seeds and vines from the peppers. Place the peppers on a sheet pan and set aside. Next Prepare the fillings for the peppers.
Begin by heating the oil in a large skillet. Add the seasonings and tomatoes and cook, simmering for 10-12 minutes. Add the rice and a cup of the cheddar cheese and stir to combine.
Gently stuff the prepared peppers with the rice pepper filling (there may be some left over). Place the peppers on a pan and top with the remaining cheese. Bake until the cheese is melted and serve warm.
Can Vegetarian Stuffed Poblano Peppers Be Made Vegan?
Sure! There cheddar cheese is the only non-Vegan friendly ingredient in this dish so it can be substituted with a vegan-friendly cheese alternative. Alternatively, the cheese could simply be omitted and stuffed with the seasoned veggie-rice mixture.
Vegetarian Stuffed Poblano Peppers
- 6 poblano peppers
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp vegetable bouillon
- 1.5 cup Minute white rice
- 2-3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 24oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 yellow, red or orange bell pepper chopped
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley finely chopped
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1.5 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- Place all the poblanos on a baking sheet, or directly on the rack. Broil, turning every few minutes until blistered all over. Put in a bowl and top with a plate (or lid, etc) to cover. Allow to steam and cool for a few minutes. Gently remove the outer skin. Cut a "T" shape in the pepper and remove the inner seeds and stems. Place on a baking sheet. Repeat with each pepper.
- Chop and prepare the remaining vegetables.
- Cook the rice as directed on the package substituting the vegetable broth for the water.
- Add the oil to a skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, garlic powder and chipotle and cook, stirring to soften, around 5 minutes.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, the bell peppers and the remaining seasoning. Cook for about 10 minutes on simmer.
- Add the rice and 1 cup of the shredded cheddar cheese and stir to combine.
- Stuff the prepared peppers with the rice-vegetable filling (you may have some left over).
- Top the peppers with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese and bake at 400 for 5-10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.